Discuss Consumer Unit in Bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been asked to carry out some works in a bathroom. The clients mains board, cutout and meter are in the airing cupboard of the bathroom currently. As part of the plans they are removing the airing cupboard and plan to just put a standard cupboard with a lock around the mains board which will now be in the bathroom at high level. It will be out of Zones.
I haven’t found out if all circuits are RCD protected yet, I’m also not a fan of it idea but what regs does this go against been out of zone, in a locked cupboard?

The DNO may frown upon their kit being in an area with increased humidity etc.

Locked cupboard, not in zones, half my head is thinking why not.

My the other is screaming "are you mad"

Whats the liklihood of the lock disappearing and the cupboard becoming additional storage for the three thousand varieties of cleanser that the modern woman needs, jumping out the bath to grab a new bottle......

Shudders.

Locked cupboard, not in zones, half my head is thinking why not.

My the other is screaming "are you mad"

Whats the liklihood of the lock disappearing and the cupboard becoming additional storage for the three thousand varieties of cleanser that the modern woman needs, jumping out the bath to grab a new bottle......

Shudders.
that problem easily solved. when she's in the bath, chuck in the toaster ( plugged in of course).

Just because you can’t think of a reg that it breaks, doesn’t mean you have to take on the job.

If in your mind it is wrong, don’t do it.

I wouldn’t do it in my house, so I wouldn’t do it for a customer either.

I hate this! Thousands of new-builds in Scotland have the CU in downstairs loo, and only way to get access to it is to stand on the WC. I don't care if it's deemed high enough to be out of zones, it just seems wrong. They are not in a cupboard either, just screwed to the wall above the loo. The loo is usually too small to allow a ladder in there. Plus, it's horrible that they are usually at the front, beside the hall at the front door. You ring the bell, hear the flush, then are presented with a damp hand to shake...no thanks!
There is a weird relaxation of the building regs that also allows a loo off the kitchen without an intervening air-space...i accept it's fair enough for some who are disabled, but as a rule it shouldn't be permitted. It's common in old conversions where an outside loo has been demolished and an inside one incorporated in a rear extension, but it's not a good idea, imho.

My parents have this in their downstairs shower room. Originally the back of the garage, it was converted in the mid 80s. The equipment's at high level, with the lower area being used to store shower roomy type stuff, I have never seen any problem with it. I doubt DNO would mind, after all they are happy having their equipment in a plastic cupboard outside, exposed to the elements. Personally, assuming the cupboard is sturdy, I would do it.

My parents have this in their downstairs shower room. Originally the back of the garage, it was converted in the mid 80s. The equipment's at high level, with the lower area being used to store shower roomy type stuff, I have never seen any problem with it. I doubt DNO would mind, after all they are happy having their equipment in a plastic cupboard outside, exposed to the elements. Personally, assuming the cupboard is sturdy, I would do it.
Having the "CU" in the bathroom could never "sit right" with any conventionally trained spark. Our electrical instincts have been honed to dismiss the suggestion out of hand.I personally never install CU, s in any area, besides the utility or hallway. But standing back and looking at the OP, s situation objectively, is a CU installed outside the zones in a suitably designed locked cupboard dangerous? I would have to answer "No". If someone can provide legitimate reasons that differ with that view, by all means let's hear them. Could I honestly say to the homeowner that he would be deemed to be in danger switching off an mcb in his CU in the bathroom area while he is deemed to be in no danger at all operating his shower switch with water flowing down around his ankles??

Having the "CU" in the bathroom could never "sit right" with any conventionally trained spark. Our electrical instincts have been honed to dismiss the suggestion out of hand.I personally never install CU, s in any area, besides the utility or hallway. But standing back and looking at the OP, s situation objectively, is a CU installed outside the zones in a suitably designed locked cupboard dangerous? I would have to answer "No". If someone can provide legitimate reasons that differ with that view, by all means let's hear them. Could I honestly say to the homeowner that he would be deemed to be in danger switching off an mcb in his CU in the bathroom area while he is deemed to be in no danger at all operating his shower switch with water flowing down around his ankles??
It can also be a perception thing, the current set up is also just a cupboard albeit a larger one. I think maybe in this particular case, if its not its not falling under any regs departures, then I would apply common sense. I would consider the size of the room, the likelihood off moisture ingress, location for access...etc

Steam from a shower would be my main concern. Gets everywhere.

It can also be a perception thing, the current set up is also just a cupboard albeit a larger one. I think maybe in this particular case, if its not its not falling under any regs departures, then I would apply common sense. I would consider the size of the room, the likelihood off moisture ingress, location for access...etc
Agreed. By the way I was really glad to see your statement "I would apply common sense".

Unfortunately common sense has very little to do with this kind of thing.
A law says what a law says. It may not be what you'd like it to say, or even what it was meant to say, but until a judgement on case law clarifies what it means, then it means exactly what it says.

Could you say that again in English please
Seriously though I am always a little amused at the reaction "using common sense" gets at times on electrical forums. It's interesting how the regs stipulate "All the senses" should be used when assessing an electrical Installation. But I must achknowledge they do not specifically mention "commonsense". I live in hope?

Unfortunately common sense has very little to do with this kind of thing.
A law says what a law says. It may not be what you'd like it to say, or even what it was meant to say, but until a judgement on case law clarifies what it means, then it means exactly what it says.
What laws or regs did you have in mind? In the discussion to date it does, nt appear anyone has found the CU has been located in a location where its contravening any regs?

What laws or regs did you have in mind? In the discussion to date it does, nt appear anyone has found the CU has been located in a location where its contravening any regs?

Suitability for environmental influences? Situated in a steamy environment with no protection other than a cupboard door?

Just adding to discussion, not saying it's a fail as such. Not ideal though certainly.

Reply to Consumer Unit in Bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock