Discuss Consumer unit in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What’s your thoughts of a new renovated house that has the consumer unit in the bathroom. It’s situated above the bath in a cupboard. It was brought 2 weeks ago and have no certs. They want a Eicr done. Obviously the sockets has to go too.

Thanks

Attachments

• E6E1F921-7BF1-46CC-8EF8-676393E1A395.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 106
  • D3438627-ADB4-4EFC-A218-CBE36CAB552F.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 102
  • BBD32DD6-A7A7-48A1-A029-BF03C65E7A2B.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 105
Which begs the question...
What came first the consumer unit or the bathroom ?

Either way it is pretty poor design to put a consumer unit in the bathroom

consumer unit in zone 1
I am sure it is not going to be supported by the manufacturers instructions!!

It's a terrible design, but is it actually in zone 1 if it's in a cupboard?

Regulation prohibits socket outlets within 3 metres horizontally of the boundary of zone 1. ' The fact that it's in a cupboard doesn't stop it being used within the zone.

Last edited:
It's a terrible design, but is it actually in zone 1 if it's in a cupboard?
been pondering on that.
it is in zone 1 when the room is being used as expected, I.e. cupboard opened to get shampoo out whilst stood in bath.
with the door closed, you could argue that it is outside the zone.

Where do we go from here, is it acceptable to have a shaver socket in a shower cubical? NO

what if the shower head was removed could I say its not a shower, its a draught limiting enclosure for me to shave in?

That would help, however where in the regs dose it define a tool or a key as being a way of avoiding zones?

Generally speaking the zones stop at fixed partitions, walls etc. that do not move, and at the entrance door to the bathroom

It might just about meet regs on technicalities/or differing interpretations, but just because the regs don't specifically ban something doesn't mean we can't decide something is potentially dangerous.

I'd have no qualms deciding that I didn't like the environmental influences - steam and moisture. Also, as already said, the cupboard is easily left open, or easily opened while using shower, and shower spray becomes a huge concern.

The OSG mutters about an airing cupboard in a bathroom not being in zones. But that is a complete wall and door.
A cupboard isn't listed as something that can be taken into account to limit a zone, and it says a door has to "effectively" limit the extents of the zones and I'd argue this one doesn't.
The zone clearly extends to under the cupboard and there is nothing that effectively limits the zone, so for me it's in zone 1.

It might just about meet regs on technicalities/or differing interpretations, but just because the regs don't specifically ban something doesn't mean we can't decide something is potentially dangerous.

I'd have no qualms deciding that I didn't like the environmental influences - steam and moisture. Also, as already said, the cupboard is easily left open, or easily opened while using shower, and shower spray becomes a huge concern.

The OSG mutters about an airing cupboard in a bathroom not being in zones. But that is a complete wall and door.
A cupboard isn't listed as something that can be taken into account to limit a zone, and it says a door has to "effectively" limit the extents of the zones and I'd argue this one doesn't.
The zone clearly extends to under the cupboard and there is nothing that effectively limits the zone, so for me it's in zone 1.

I agree that there is nothing in the regs to say you can't do it, it's the socket outlet that bothers me as It's likely to be used otherwise there's no point in it being there.

I agree that there is nothing in the regs to say you can't do it, it's the socket outlet that bothers me as It's likely to be used otherwise there's no point in it being there.
No, I disagree with the comment "there is nothing in the regs to say you can't do it"
there are a few things that it may well fall foul of.
e.g.
in zone 1
a minimum rating of IP45 is required but it is generally accepted that IP65 is to be used.

can you be sure that the cupboard/db combination meets this??

No, I disagree with the comment "there is nothing in the regs to say you can't do it"
there are a few things that it may well fall foul of.
e.g.
in zone 1
a minimum rating of IP45 is required but it is generally accepted that IP65 is to be used.

can you be sure that the cupboard/db combination meets this??

IP rating for what ? Is it in Zone 1

YES IT IS IN ZONE 1

I see a cupboard in zone 1 containing electrical equipment.
what is the ip rating of the cupboard?

Ok how about a whirlpool bath that has a FCU /pump etc under the bath ? Is that IP rated ? no.

But it's ok because the bath has a side panel.

I'm not saying I agree with the situation, not at all.

It also needs to be fit for purpose. So ipx2 minimum for the environment.
An FCU isn't ipx2 and that's in zone 1 ? Under the bath.

Bear in mind, I don't agree with the Cu or socket outlet, but I am trying to find a definitive regulation that says no.

Look at #6
Regulation prohibits socket outlets within 3 metres horizontally of the boundary of zone 1. ' The fact that it's in a cupboard doesn't stop it being used within the zone.

Reply to Consumer unit in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net