Discuss Consumer unit installed on it's side. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do manufacturers instructions definitely prohibit this? Only issue that springs to mind is different heat distribution and cooling, but plenty of 3 phase DBs are designed to run in that configuration. As far as I know the MCBs/RCDs will operate in any orientation, would be interested to see any documentation which either confirms or denies this.

Is it securely mounted? Are all the entry points correctly sealed (as the top edge is the CUs side etc)

Agree that the MCBs are OK this way as they are in a 3-phase DB, but I think having the main switch in any orientation other than down=off is unacceptable as it could hinder isolation in an emergency. I believe the BS defines this but cannot offer a specific reference at the mo. Consider a fire crew working in the dark / smoke...

Well, I’ve never seen one installed on that orientation before.?

ours at home is mounted like that as the alternative was to move the head,meter,and isolator (£££££££££) or knock down a brick supporting wall. it's been like that since i installed it 8 years ago. it's BG and it's plastic. the house has nor burnt down. the dogs have not run off. in fact...nothing to laugh at at all.

Also seen

But the master switch is usually along the bottom
and conforms to "Normally expected"
UP-On
Down Off ... ( gravity assisted )

I'm with @Lucien Nunes " fire crew " comment.

It has been made less safe.

I hadn't though about the main switch. Good point. There is another small DB above, is this fed from the sideways one or split tails?
If there isnt an overal isolator, perhaps one should be installed to give a single point of isolation? That would then be the correct orientation, would that be enough to avoid confusion with the second switch in the DB still in place on its side?

Readers should be aware that the notes relative to 536.4.203 state that if the assembly deviates from the original manufacturers' instructions, then the person introducing that deviation becomes the manufacturer. So if you have an installation that requires non-standard arrangements, talk to the manufacturer about how to provide this in a compliant manner. Using unapproved parts will invalidate manufacturer guarantees and may result in an unsafe installation.

One of the new regulations, 536.4.203, states that devices and components that are used in low voltage assemblies (to BS EN 61439) such as consumer units, and distribution boards must only be those that have been declared suitable for that purpose by the manufacturer of the assembly. Or put another way: only use manufacturer approved parts, don’t mix brands of devices or control items.

Each manufacturer of electrical switchgear designs and tests its own products for use in combination with each other, not with other brands. So if someone were to use a mixture of brands they would be creating an untested assembly and untested assemblies aren’t backed by manufacturer guarantees.

Obviously, no manufacturer can guarantee an installation that hasn’t been completed in line with the manufacturer's installation instructions. But that doesn’t mean that manufacturers won’t permit control items to be added to an assembly. Electrium, for example, offers a custom build facility and will design & build factory built assemblies that will carry a manufacturer guarantee, even if the assembly includes non Electrium products.

Readers should be aware that the notes relative to 536.4.203 state that if the assembly deviates from the original manufacturers' instructions then the person introducing that deviation becomes the manufacturer. So if you have an installation that requires non-standard arrangements talk to the manufacturer about how to provide this in a compliant manner.

Using unapproved parts will invalidate manufacturer guarantees and may result in an unsafe installation.
so where do it says you can not turn the C/U on its side and what about three phase boards .

The off gravity assisted comment, with respect, is -------s, for gravity to assist In anyway, the lever would need to be weighed to a degree otherwise Gravity has nothing to act on.

Units installed sideways, sure they look odd but if it's not explicitly prohibited then it has to be seen as a viable install method. As for fire crews, I can't see them arsing with a consumer unit in event of fire, they'd go straight to DNO and kill power locally

Using unapproved parts will invalidate manufacturer guarantees and may result in an unsafe installation.
so where do it says you can not turn the C/U on its side and what about three phase boards .
Blimey, buzz...I thought you'd done an English Language course.....'till I got to that last paragraph.

By the way, I agree with you, mate. It all depends on space availability, even if it does look naff.

surprised nobody's mentioned how neatly the tails are dressed.

Reply to Consumer unit installed on it's side. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net