Discuss Consumer unit ip4x in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Photos of the CU please will help. But it’s worse than you expect.
NAPIT codebreakers say

If the IP rating on the top surface of the controls enclosure is not at least IPXXD or IP4X, there is a likelihood of access to live parts, which would give a C1 Code.

If you haven’t a copy there is a discussion exactly on this query here

Last edited:
If the IP rating on the top surface of the controls enclosure is not at least IPXXD or IP4X, there is a likelihood of access to live parts, which would give a C1 Code.
The wording on the NAPIT link is "Top of enclosure has openings exceeding IP4X/IPxxD, access to live parts" for C1. I think the emphasis is on the access to live parts aspect.

After all an IP3X hole with any live parts down by 5-10cm as in many CUs is hardly accessible unless someone pokes a long narrow conductive object down there. In reality there is a bigger risk of liquids being stored on top of the CU and spilling in, and IP4X would not stop that either.

So judgement on the not-IP4X size is required, as in most things.

For any CU top (or sides/bottom even) I think we all agree that the likes of the Whiska glands are by far the best solution, even if not striclty mandated by the requlations.

The wording on the NAPIT link is "Top of enclosure has openings exceeding IP4X/IPxxD, access to live parts" for C1. I think the emphasis is on the access to live parts aspect.

After all an IP3X hole with any live parts down by 5-10cm as in many CUs is hardly accessible unless someone pokes a long narrow conductive object down there. In reality there is a bigger risk of liquids being stored on top of the CU and spilling in, and IP4X would not stop that either.

So judgement on the not-IP4X size is required, as in most things.

For any CU top (or sides/bottom even) I think we all agree that the likes of the Whiska glands are by far the best solution, even if not striclty mandated by the requlations.
BS7671 is not a Mandatory Document, so it can't be mandated by the regulations can it?

BS7671 is not a Mandatory Document, so it can't be mandated by the regulations can it?
True, but only in a slippery-lawyer sense!

Nothing in the BS standard is mandatory, but generally it is taken as if it was since it is the best guidance recognised in the UK.

Reply to Consumer unit ip4x in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net