Discuss consumer unit location problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

poolegaz

Hi Everyone,
I am looking of a bit of advice/help regarding the position of a consumer unit in a rewire of an existing installation in a domestic property. The consumer unit is approximately 8 from the ground and so requires ladders to access it. the customer wants the CU replacing but wants it to stay in the same location, is this OK? Also how would this be noted on the installation certificate? I apologise if this seems obvious to some of you but my experience is on new builds where this is not a issue. Any help wold be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

If this 8 feet, 8 metres, 8 inches, 8 km?

If it is 8m then this is not ideal and an access arrangement should be in place to permit reinstatement of circuits.
Should the lights go out then the access to the consumer unit could be hazardous, then again the requirement for there to be sufficient working space around the CU should be OK:smile:.
However the ease of use is not good.
However I think that there are no specific wiring regulations that are breached by that location.
Keep trying to convince them to move it but what the customer wants that is complaint goes in the end.

If the customer wants it put back there then put it back there.

Arrange it so that the 2 nearest lights are on different circuits to minimise the chance of having to reset breakers in the dark

Or just fit an emergency light next to it... That comes on when the lights trip

Assuming they are going to test it regularly to cycle the batteries and keep them working. If not then that will only be of any use for the first couple of years until it stops working.

Having the two nearest lights on different circuits doesn't go wrong so easily.

Very true, but they pay our bills and where possible they should get what they want.

Yep, Never try to educate the stupid, there must be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why the customer wants the CU positioned at 8 feet AFFL or so, .....or maybe NOT!!

Assuming they are going to test it regularly to cycle the batteries and keep them working. If not then that will only be of any use for the first couple of years until it stops working.Having the two nearest lights on different circuits doesn't go wrong so easily.
dave thats a very good point.Although in my defence the places I have done this, the person in question wasn't likely to outlive the battery

Or just fit an emergency light next to it... That comes on when the lights trip

I don't why the powers of be don't make an emergency light standard in new builds and or complete rewires. I fitted one in my house some 25 years ago, came in very handy during power cuts etc. It was so positioned that it lit the stairwell up and hallway.

Reply to consumer unit location problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net