Discuss Consumer Unit Query? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The pic. is my friends consumer unit and what I can’t understand is:

the left RCD is in tripped/off position yet he tells me the circuits 6,7,and 8 in the house are alive?
I thought the mcb’s 6,7,8 were connected from the left RCD and hence although mcb’s are closed the circuits should be dead!

Help needed..what am I missing?Consumer Unit Query? 7D2E4784-94CD-43A0-B46B-8A8E26D448FB - EletriciansForums.net

It's a bit difficult to tell, but it looks like the little indicator window on the RCD is still showing red - they turn to green when the power is off. Is the switch "floppy", i.e. if you try to raise it, does it just flop back down?

I think in any case, regardless of the above, it's worth an electrician looking at it, seeing how it's wired internally, testing it, and (possibly/probably) replacing.

As above ,

1 I would say 95% chance someone at some stage has completely bypassed ( linked out ) the RCD so it is doing sweet FA

2 It is infact a faulty unit and welded itself switched On so that the switch is just flapping in the wind ( I have only ever come across this once in 25 years of doing domestic jobs )

While you’re at it, get the electrician to distribute the loads better.

Ie, lights on separate RCDs… so if one rcd trips, you’re not in total darkness.

Whenever I see a BG ( screwfix Diy special) I would be curious to see if either RCD was actually connected or whether both do sweet FA and have been linked out completely

It's a bit difficult to tell, but it looks like the little indicator window on the RCD is still showing red - they turn to green when the power is off. Is the switch "floppy", i.e. if you try to raise it, does it just flop back down?

I think in any case, regardless of the above, it's worth an electrician looking at it, seeing how it's wired internally, testing it, and (possibly/probably) replacing.
Thanks…yes it is floppy…suggesting a E fault somewhere!

If by passed/shorted out or even welded in it wouldn’t still try and trip when attempt to close,..would it?

It needs looking at and replacing, whatever the cause. It may be correctly connected inside the DB, and maybe just the internal switch mechanism has failed. It might trip when you press the test button, but then you might not be able to reset it again if the switch is faulty. Or it may have failed badly and be internally welded in the closed position, this may have been caused by an external fault, or it may just be the RCD that's faulty. Without testing it, and testing the circuits it's (possibly/hopefully) protecting, we can only speculate.

Rcd has been bypassed or failed. Bg is hands down the worst brand I've ever had the pleasure of using and had multiple rcds fail when 'new'.

Reply to Consumer Unit Query? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock