Discuss Consumer Unit RCBO advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm ordering a Hager 10 way split load CU and also want to order some RCBOs. I have an old house(1930s) that was rewired in the 1980s then I moved in and built a double height extension in the 1990s.

The lighting and power in old house are on separate circuits and the lighting and power in the extension are on separate circuits. I'd like to put th lighting and power old house circuits on RCBOs and also a 9.8KW shower.

I know I should be ordering Hager type B RCBOs but I heard they do reduced height ones which would be better but the only ones I can find on Sparksdirect are the type A reduced height. Also they don't do an RCBO that would be OK for the shower circuit(45 amp). Are the type A ones ok or should I just get full height type Bs? Also I assum I will just have to have the shower on an 45A MCB?

My sparks coming next thursday to do the job .

You can't fit RCBO's in a split load CU. Think you need to discuss this with your sparks. Don't know many that would do the project this way, you buying the materials.

Have you not discussed this with the electrician that is coming to do the job on Thursday?
What has the electrician quoted for?

Yet again blinding! Given as you are probably trying to save money be aware the shorter RCBO’s are more expensive. You also have the wrong C.U.
As has benn said, ask your sparks!

As above You are ordering the wrong consumer unit if you are fitting some seperate rcbo , if you are getting parts yourself ask the sparks to give you a full list of parts as there will plenty of sundries, no need to get the shorter rcbos there plenty of room in the hager CUs for the longer rcbos

As above You are ordering the wrong consumer unit if you are fitting some seperate rcbo , if you are getting parts yourself ask the sparks to give you a full list of parts as there will plenty of sundries, no need to get the shorter rcbos there plenty of room in the hager CUs for the longer rcbos

Or just get the sparks to get the stuff, unless you insist on saving £50.

Already spoken to Spark, he told me he could do this, would just use one of the RCDs for the remaining circuits and would put the circuits I wanted on RCBOs. THis is the Consumer Unit, it is configurable so why wouldn't it be able to be used?:
VML710CU - Hager 10 Way Metal Consumer Unit Amendment 3 with 8 MCB Breakers FREE, Split Load Config 100A Sw 2x63A 30mA RCCB - https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/hager-10-way-metal-consumer-unit-amendment-3-with-8-mcb-breakers-free-split-load-config-100a-sw-2x63a-30ma-rccb

Reason I'm asking about RCBOs here is cos I wanted to order today and ccan't get hold of him at the moment.

I'm not particularly trying to save money, if I was I wouldn't be bothering about RCBOs would I? I just wanted a decent CU putting in and found a good deal on Hager . The spark has quoted £200 for fitting.testing,cert etc I'm providing CU and RCBOs. He was quite happy with this or to provide an MK CU himself but I thought Hager was a bit better quality?

I'm not particularly trying to save money, if I was I wouldn't be bothering about RCBOs would I? I just wanted a decent CU putting in and found a good deal on Hager . The spark has quoted £200 for fitting.testing,cert etc I'm providing CU and RCBOs. He was quite happy with this or to provide an MK CU himself but I thought Hager was a bit better quality?
£200 seems steep for an hours work!!

I have 7 circuits and wanted to put 3 of them on RCBOs, 2 of them because they were older circuits and one cos its a shower. I suppose to go all RCBOs would cost another £100ish on top , didn't really think it was needed cos those other 4 circuits are newish and I know were installed and tested properly.

You don't need any RCBO'S. They are nice but won't offer any more safety.

An RCBO is an RCD/MCB combined.
The advantage is for single circuit earth faults it will only trip the affected circuit.

The board you have specified has 2 RCD units which cover MCBS. You still have exactly the same level of circuit protection it is just that if there was an earth fault all the MCB'S covered by that RCD would be affected. Circuits arranged sensibly and a healthy install minimise issues.

Thanks for the reply, I'm grateful. I know I don't need the RCBOs, its just as the older wiring was done in the 80s it might be better if I put those circuits on RCBOs so if there are problems(As I'm moving from a fused CU to MCBs) only the individual circuit would go down. I thought this because I was told RCDs are likely to trip when theres problems that wouldn't affect a CU that has fuses. I'm quite prepared to pay the spark extra to check there are no faults on the older wiring and make sure RCDs won't be tripping.

Thanks for the reply, I'm grateful. I know I don't need the RCBOs, its just as the older wiring was done in the 80s it might be better if I put those circuits on RCBOs so if there are problems(As I'm moving from a fused CU to MCBs) only the individual circuit would go down. I thought this because I was told RCDs are likely to trip when theres problems that wouldn't affect a CU that has fuses. I'm quite prepared to pay the spark extra to check there are no faults on the older wiring and make sure RCDs won't be tripping.

This should be done as a matter of course when installing a consumer unit.

Reply to Consumer Unit RCBO advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock