Discuss Consumer Unit - RCBO Upgrade?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking some electrical advise. I've been told by an electrician that I need to install 5 Nr RCBO's to this consumer unit. Is this correct or is the current set up ok? He has provided me with a condition report stating a 'C2' on the cables concealed in walls. If an upgrade is required will it take 5 NR RCBO's or are RCD's sufficient?Consumer Unit - RCBO Upgrade?? IMG_0802.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

He has provided me with a condition report stating a 'C2' on the cables concealed in walls. If an upgrade is required will it take 5 NR RCBO's or are RCD's sufficient? ]

Without seeing the installation or the whole report its not easy to comment on the coding, usually this would be a C3 but there may be other factors to consider.

Whilst it might be possible to bodge a single RCD in instead of fitting RCBO's it is not advisable and could cause more problems.

On etching that needs fixing very urgently is the missing blanks from the front of that board.

Looks like a commercial site, DB GLP (Gr Fl Ltg & Pwr).

Found one of these Ashley & Rock DBs at a house in Creggan in Derry a while back. I believe they were bought out by Hager quite a number of years ago.

I'm pretty confident you won't find any devices for it. I mounted a separate DB for work I did.

Also, although someone will probably prove me wrong, id be shocked if you can even get an RCBO for that board.

You can. It's old Ashley Rock supasafe that was bought by Hager. They based their range on this breaker pattern and it has not changed. I have had confirmation from them before that they fit and Hager give their blessing for this marriage.

The older supasafe with the red writing however are not compatible.

It genuinely amazes me how many people come on here asking questions who don't trust their electricians. Some cases they do have a point bit rarely. Still amazes me though waiting on the day a job I quote appears here

I think the board also looks like an old seimens board I’ve had trouble looking for an RCBO to fit.
Hager does fit nicely but customer is going for a board change instead

Reply to Consumer Unit - RCBO Upgrade?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock