Discuss Consumer unit replacement issues in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
When carrying out EIC on a new consumer unit installation and found a existing ring circuit with a Neutral to Earth fault causing the rcd to trip.
The old fuse box didn’t have rcd protection as it wasn’t required.
The problem is after removing all connected and appliances loads the fault is tripping the rcd.
Investigating further would involve removing floorboards and carpets etc.
The client is elderly and refuses to be disrupted as it has been working for 30 years.
I explained that I will not be able to issue a certificate as it would have a C2.
Any ideas where I shall go from here? We are at a Mexican standoff.
Michael

Will he let you strip/split the circuit to find where the fault is, at least you can then decide the next course of action?!
I always test before I change a con unit, just in case. It's easier to put the wires back in the existing and leave it working!

Will he let you strip/split the circuit to find where the fault is, at least you can then decide the next course of action?!
I always test before I change a con unit, just in case. It's easier to put the wires back in the existing and leave it working!
I have narrowed it down to being under the floorboards which would require the fitted carpet to be lifted

I would have if I had installed it
I'm a bit confused now. If you did not install the consumer unit, then why is the installer not fixing the N to E short?

Edit: reading the original post, I'm thinking you are carrying out an EICR, as only the installer would issue an EIC. Unless this is some 3rd party certification?

I'm a bit confused now. If you did not install the consumer unit, then why is the installer not fixing the N to E short?

Edit: reading the original post, I'm thinking you are carrying out an EICR, as only the installer would issue an EIC. Unless this is some 3rd party certification?
That also explains the impossibility of having a C2 on an EIC. Yes, I think this is an EICR.
It might helpful to comment that the job of an EICR is to inspect, test and report. Fixing is a later issue, maybe for someone else.
I realise that we all want to be helpful people and try to make things easy, and sometimes agreeing to fix things before reporting them makes sense.
But on this one, I'd say job 1 is to report, especially if customer is being difficult.
Why is the EICR being done in the first place - is the elderly client the tenant and someone else is the landlord?

Thread title suggest this is a 3rd party notification - 'Napit certification scheme'.

Thread title suggest this is a 3rd party notification - 'Napit certification scheme'.
It’s not a 3rd party notification here is no 3rd party in Wales.
@Michael J can you clarify the situation here so we aren't playing guessing games.
@Michael J can you clarify the situation here so we aren't playing guessing games.
I work closely with the electrician on many jobs and I get involved with design,installation inspection on1st fix and 2nd fix. Etc.
On this particular job he didn’t insist on a EICR prior to carrying out the work due to cost implications (my error I should have reminded him)
The original request was how to deal with the client
Get hold the the muppet that fitted the CU and kick him in his backside
all ready have

Splitting the ring is all you can do in this circumstance.

I bet the customer doesn’t even allow you to move furniture to access sockets though.

Have you double checked your mates work? He hasn’t done something daft in the CU and got legs mixed up?
Possibility of faulty rcd? (Swap it for known good one) or is it an actual N-E fault. What was the IR result?

I work closely with the electrician on many jobs and I get involved with design,installation inspection on1st fix and 2nd fix. Etc.
On this particular job he didn’t insist on a EICR prior to carrying out the work due to cost implications (my error I should have reminded him)
The original request was how to deal with the client.

all ready have
So your Mate fitted a new CU but did not carry out any testing afterwards was there an EIC CERT issued at the completion of the CU swap?? get your Mate back to rectify and explain his nistake to the client it's his fault this has happened

Reply to Consumer unit replacement issues in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock