Discuss Consumer unit replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

as the job is temporary and the house load will not even exceed 80 amps let alone 100amps do you think it would be fine to connect a 16mm cable from the meter to the vonsumer unit even if the dno use 25mm tails or shall I use a 25mm cable too

Whether it is temporary or not it needs to be carried out in accordance with bs7671 including initial verification.
It won't be fine to connect a cable directly from the meter to the CU, if the length is 7 metres, regardless of what size it is.

No you are approaching this incorrectly, you don't pick a cable size then work backwards to the fuse size. You need to establish the design load and then work through the calculations to establish the correct fuse size then the cable size.
I wish that still were the case.
Now we have to use 25mm2 tails irrespective of the load, just because there may be a 100A DNO fuse.
We also (since the 18th) will have to use 100A mains switches and RCDs if the manufacturers’ instructions tell us to.

Reply to Consumer unit replacement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock