Discuss Consumer unit space in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

please only attempt this if you are confident.

both in opening the box, and taking a clear photo that is not so blurred that it makes our eyes water tryingtomake it out. ??

''Open the box'' was the yell.....''Take the money'' was the other.

Dosh for me....no danger.

How often do the phrases "it's a new build" and "I have a problem with..." appear in the same post?
I know...it's a bugbear of mine...but for a reason. The particular builder mentioned here has been a cause of many complaints, but to be fair, they just farm out the installation to local firms and you can be lucky too.
However, just look at the cost of a new house and ask why, with the huge amount of money involved, the electrical installation is poor...and the answer is always the same: profit...every penny a prisoner. I hate cheapskate cost-cutting in every walk of life, but to save a few hundred quid on a build at a few hundred thousand quid just annoys me. Installing the CU above the WC in the ground-floor cloakroom next to the front door really pi$$es me off...

It's not fun putting pictures on the wall in new houses, cables don't often seem to be installed in the safe zones anymore. One 15 month old house I did work in had loose mains tail connections, got 4 turns on one! No grommets used in boxes, some CPCs had no sleeving, copper nicked during stripping. Conductors not dressed in the box before pushing the sockets back, just wires shoved in any angle. Some faceplates were cracked around the fixing screws so I assume they fitted back with an impact driver. Accessories installed at several different heights and spacings looked untidy too. Then there was that house with the SFCU in zone 1.

New build wiring is generally horrific , im convinced 90% of all new build electrics is now thrown in by the builders labourers and second fixed by the painters

Some of the stuff i come across is truly appauling like missing earths at metal lights , connector blocks slung under kitchen units , completely mangled cables entering the consumers unit with no grommet / grommit strip

How often do the phrases "it's a new build" and "I have a problem with..." appear in the same post?
I know...it's a bugbear of mine...but for a reason. The particular builder mentioned here has been a cause of many complaints, but to be fair, they just farm out the installation to local firms and you can be lucky too.
However, just look at the cost of a new house and ask why, with the huge amount of money involved, the electrical installation is poor...and the answer is always the same: profit...every penny a prisoner. I hate cheapskate cost-cutting in every walk of life, but to save a few hundred quid on a build at a few hundred thousand quid just annoys me. Installing the CU above the WC in the ground-floor cloakroom next to the front door really pi$$es me off...
Not just electrics. It's a shame, a dangerous shame in many case but, generally, the money makers couldn't care a to$$. Thousands of new housing estates going up all over making millions for certain entities.
There used to be on-site managers or clerks of work, brought up in in the different trades. What happened to them? It's now down to the contractors to inspect their own work so what is to be expected?
With our 'magnificent' Health and Safety systems and Regulations, be they actual law or not, should we not be able to get a grip?
Just look at Grenfell... we learn plenty but what do we actually learn to do?
The authorities or government departments just dither.

Not just electrics. It's a shame, a dangerous shame in many case but, generally, the money makers couldn't care a to$$. Thousands of new housing estates going up all over making millions for certain entities.
There used to be on-site managers or clerks of work, brought up in in the different trades. What happened to them? It's now down to the contractors to inspect their own work so what is to be expected?
With our 'magnificent' Health and Safety systems and Regulations, be they actual law or not, should we not be able to get a grip?
Just look at Grenfell... we learn plenty but what do we actually learn to do?
The authorities or government departments just dither.
I think the US has a system where the work is inspected twice rather than just self-regulation

We have an unbelievable problem here now whereby up to 5,000 houses will probably have to be demolished because of mica in the blocks, problem went unchecked

I think the US has a system where the work is inspected twice rather than just self-regulation

We have an unbelievable problem here now whereby up to 5,000 houses will probably have to be demolished because of mica in the blocks, problem went unchecked

Some of those houses in Donegal have partially demolished themselves while finger pointing exercises continue.

The US seem to have something on us both with their new builds then, in principle at least.

in the US, bang testing has been a tried method since the red indians nicked the telegraph copper wires for bangles, why change?

22 year old son has just bought a new build, and has had me over on curtain pole fixing duty.
Construction is catnic lintels with dot and dab plasterboard.
A piece of 4x2 thrown loose into the recess on the face of the catnics would have made the job soooooo much easier!
Checked one socket and one switch and pleasantly surprised.

22 year old son has just bought a new build, and has had me over on curtain pole fixing duty.
Construction is catnic lintels with dot and dab plasterboard.
A piece of 4x2 thrown loose into the recess on the face of the catnics would have made the job soooooo much easier!
Checked one socket and one switch and pleasantly surprised to find cable inside. ?

Reply to Consumer unit space in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net