Discuss Consumer unit to consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Already fitted consumer unit circuit breaker (1) MCB 20 Amps feeding an Emerson Water Heater in another part of building over the years Emerson water heater removed [[ But the power cable remains...
Now newly fitted to this unused Emerson heater cable Cable [[ Replaced: Now been modernized new cable ]] consumer (2) unit circuit breaker 40 Amps: safety: -
|My question as at (1 above ) what Must that 20 Amp mcb circuit breaker replaced with ? thereby making the new installation safe to be used

As above.
It's likely safe now, it's more a question of whether the current draw will be too high and cause the 20 Amp breaker to trip (to protect the cable from overheating).
So the two key factors are:
1) confirming that it's a 2.5mm T+E cable
2) confirming what you want to be connected to the new consumer unit.
If it's anything more than a B16 radial circuit and a B6 lighting circuit you are probably going to need a larger cable, so in turn you can use a larger circuit breaker to supply the new consumer unit.

confused .com. what is it you want to do?
My interpretation (Gin helps) is that he has a 20amp breaker, a cable (that once fed a water heater) which may or may not have been replaced, and he wants to use it as a distribution circuit for a new consumer unit of some description.
Hence I was trying to confirm cable size and what he's expecting the new CU to do. I'm expecting the existing cable to be inadequate.
The missing "40 Amp" jigsaw piece could be the expected load.
We'll see! Maybe!

almost wiser.i'm here now:
I was on Gilmour's last (final ?) world tour, using all that original video. Was dating the VT tech at the time and she had a nightmare converting all the random old formats into ratio's and definitions that make the grade today. And the content, whilst dated, still just as relevant today - sadly.

am reading this correct 20amp feeding (was emer heating ) longer ,but feeding a consumer (2)
and consumer (1) 20amp 2.5 cable to a new consumer feeding what load .
Thank you! The new consumer united do have 40 + 40 Amps 16 + 16 Amps then lighting 6 + 6 Amps re-fitted into electronics workshop the current taken will be variable

Reminds me of the CU fuse I came across once, labeled "floorizent lights".
Came across a breaker in a large shop called 'soft lights' which were tripping an rcbo which also fed a circuit inside the store. Couldn't understand what they were so after a bit of investigation traced it up through the building to the roof. Turned out to be soffit lights and someone's poor spelling cost me an hour.

What is an Emerson Water Heater?
your question as above: This is avariable in size and diameter + its Height say 40 gallon water tank with an emersed heating eliment placed inside water tank say 24 inch long Electric heating element >>on the smaller scale as your own at home hot water boiling kettle<<[ as you would use to make a hot cup tea with in your kitchenetc]] <<<<

I've heard others calling them emerson, has to be an emerson heater out there , was it the old one that had dual supply.. maybe they all meant immersion.

There's an Emerson company that does water control products. Don't think they mean that though.

Reply to Consumer unit to consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net