Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Consumer unit under a sink.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Been to a job today to do a periodic and the consumer unit was directly under the kitchen sink. I can't find anything in the regs that says this can't be done but it doesn't seem right...can anyone put my mind at rest??

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Used to be fairly common in bedsits round our way from the 70's, Unless there is water ingress, you can really code it methinks, maybe just an observation.

Surely that can't be right not aware of any reqs it breaks though strange

B

Bobster

How about this then lads, not something I've found (I'm industrial) but a friend showed it me.

Tis a bit close to the sink there! Bet thats a downstairs bog and not a bathroom though!

G

Guest111

How about this then lads, not something I've found (I'm industrial) but a friend showed it me.

How usefull,somewhere for the lady of the house to stand her deodorant and other items lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Difficult for an improvement..the meter is under the sink also, think some alterations must have been done over the years and they've built the kitchen around it.

B

Bobster

It's a downstairs loo.

Must be handy if the lights trip whilst doing the buisness

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Been to a job today to do a periodic and the consumer unit was directly under the kitchen sink. I can't find anything in the regs that says this can't be done but it doesn't seem right...can anyone put my mind at rest??
I would possibly put a C3 on it, alls well until the sink or waste starts to leak then it could get very messy. No really a suitable location but which was there first?

Now that has made me chuckle... :lol: Complete with NIC sticker, again which was there first? Bet the plumber was second.

S

SPARTYKUS

Have you seen the film Trollhunter? Now thats a pump I wouldnt like to smell!

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Our local regs state that the means of isolation must be readily accessible. Under a sink would fail depending on the layout.

Some were to rest your coffee when laying a cable lol

S

SPARTYKUS

It's a paper dispenser in disguise
Ahh! Of course

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
irrespective of the sink, what muppet fitted that CU at that ridiculous height. did he read the 1200mm for switches to apply to CUs as well.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
If it were a new build, it would not comply with 'Approved Document M', as someone has already eluded too, because of installed height and being accessable by disable persons. But that doesn't help om an old existing installation I suppose.

S

sedgy34

There should have been questions on we're the DB should be sited of its a new build, it's to building regs height so doesn't discriminate disabled persons

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

There is a whole new estate up here done like that under the stairs , only the box is above the sink.

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Consumer unit under a sink.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom