• Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net. We hope you find the information you are looking for. But if you don't manage to, please feel free to Register and ask a question yourself. You can delete your account at any time should you quickly find the answers to what you need.

Discuss Consumer unit upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Looking to upgrade the current consumer unit, it is located in the garage, the new cu will be in the same location. Having read various posts it appears that the Hager boards are well regarded but the MK boards not so

But my electrician is adamant in wanting to install an MK RCD board 13 way, he advised 13 way is a bit more than my actual requirements but it will be future proof in the event i decide to do an extension or something

I suggested a Hagar board but he dismissed that! And insisted to fit an MK board as he is familiar with them

Your thoughts would be appreciated, where does the MK board rank? Would you recommend any other CU other than Hagar?

Baddegg

-
Arms Access
Everyone has boards and brands they prefer,I prefer Hager but horses for courses......either that or he has an mk board on his van......

Paignton pete

-
Arms Access
Go with someone who will do what you want.

Hager boards are good.

MK boards are good.

Getting extra ways is sensible.

I would not want to fit an RCD personally. Much prefer RCBO boards.

littlespark

-
Arms Access
having spare ways is a good idea for the future, but 13 may be way more than you need. how many circuits do you currently use?

you will be paying for it, so you tell him what you want fitted.

Baddegg

-
Arms Access
Agree with @Paignton pete, I can’t remember the last split board I fitted (completely not altered) I much prefer full rcbo, not much difference cost wise either these days.....did he discuss arc fault and surge protection with you as an option?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What would be the top 5 consumer units, I'll try and suggest something other than Hager to him

Pete999

-
Arms Access
Looking to upgrade the current consumer unit, it is located in the garage, the new cu will be in the same location. Having read various posts it appears that the Hager boards are well regarded but the MK boards not so

But my electrician is adamant in wanting to install an MK RCD board 13 way, he advised 13 way is a bit more than my actual requirements but it will be future proof in the event i decide to do an extension or something

I suggested a Hagar board but he dismissed that! And insisted to fit an MK board as he is familiar with them

Your thoughts would be appreciated, where does the MK board rank? Would you recommend any other CU other than Hagar?
Why does "your

Why does your "Electrician" demand that you have to change your CU? has he done any testing of the installation? probably has the one he is recommending kicking around in his Van, get a second opinion.

ferg

-
Arms Access
If he won't fit what you want get someone else.

On the odd occasion I've fitted MK boards I've been unimpressed by them but honestly If I would not be concerned if there was one in my own home.

Pic of current consumer unit attached, there is one for immersion heater and electric shower but these are no longer needed for the new CU. This one is Hagar :)

Attachments

Paignton pete

-
Arms Access
Do you know and trust this electrician?

If yes go with his board if the price is right.

If no get some one else.

You’re the customer, you get what you want within reason and within the regs.

Baddegg

-
Arms Access
You’ve got 7 circuits from what I can make out In your picture....13 ways on ya new one is certainly future proofing!....have you indicted a new kitchen in the future to him?

Very bizarre for an electrician to refuse to fit the board of your choosing.
I can only presume he has an old MK board in the back of the car he wants to off load to someone...

Ok spoke to the electrician, convinced him to fit a hagar he has asked me to supply hooray!

What would you recommend he said it needs to be rcd dual/split load 12 or 13 way

Are there enough independent certification companies?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trending Threads

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom