Discuss Consumer Unit Upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IPS

-
Reaction score
I am currently assessing the replacment of an exisiting fuseboard to a new split CU and seek advice that I'm unable to find reference to in 7671.

The exisitng fuse board is approximatley 8mtr from the Meter, does the new CU need to be repositioned closer to the meter and all the circuits extending? I have a maximum figure of 3mtr for the consumer tails length in my head

Thank you

The 3m rule is a DNO thing. You can fit an isolator and run SWA to the CU from the isolator to get around this. However if you bury it the wall you run afoul of needing RCD protection for the cable. So ideally the SWA would run surface.

The 3m rule is a DNO thing. You can fit an isolator and run SWA to the CU from the isolator to get around this. However if you bury it the wall you run afoul of needing RCD protection for the cable. So ideally the SWA would run surface.

A switchfuse rather than an isolator.

Many thanks for everybodys input, much appreciated.

Just to verify another point... The conducters are required to be 25mm2 from the Isolator to CU

Many thanks for everybodys input, much appreciated.

Just to verify another point... The conducters are required to be 25mm2 from the Isolator to CU
Depends on the DNO fuse size. But most people default to 25mm to cover for future supply upgrades which may change the fuse size to a maximum of 100 amps.

I would have thought that, but NAPIT did an article in Pro Electrician that said you did/might in certain scenarios. I'll see if I can link it.
The only time I can see RCD requirement for a general use distribution circuit is when disconnection times cannot be met, i.e. TT systems.

If it was part of a full rewire I would be inclined to manoeuvre the consumer unit much nearer to the meter if possible

save faffing about installing a metal clad swi fuse and 25mm swa which at the best of times is awkward to install

Not worth running 25mm conductors as you will have to derate your fuse to meet selectivity requirements assuming the DNO fuse is 100A

Closest regulation is 434.3 (iv)

SWA is obvious choice as no protection needed (within reason) but hard to wrangle, or you could have tails in metal trunking or conduit (though it would be hard to get cables though in 25mm conduit I expect).

Sorry I am slighly more confused with the Consumer Tail sizes.
The DNO fuse is 100A TN-C-S earthing arrangement > 25mm Tails to Meter > 25mm Tails Meter to Isolator > I need to know what is the minimum size cable CSA from the Isolator to the CU.

Thank you in advance.

25mm would be the minimum for 100A usually, you would have to check VD (unlikely a problem if only 8m) and cable ratings in the installation method chosen if you can realistically get anywhere near the 100A demand.

If they only need 60A then a 60A fused-switch and 16mm would be fine.

Sorry I am slighly more confused with the Consumer Tail sizes.
The DNO fuse is 100A TN-C-S earthing arrangement > 25mm Tails to Meter > 25mm Tails Meter to Isolator > I need to know what is the minimum size cable CSA from the Isolator to the CU.

Thank you in advance.
If you want the maximum amount of supply possible you would have to use and 80A fuse in your switched fuse isolator due to selectivity. Cable sizing is then dictated by the usual variables?

Reply to Consumer Unit Upgrade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock