Discuss consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tedglen2

I am having my house rewired. The comsumer unit is above my kitchen door. On a house rewire does the unit need to come down to 1200mm for wheelchair use? Not sure where it would go at that height.

No it does not.

If you were having a complete refurb done on the property then possibly.

The same thing goes for heights of switches and sockets. No need to change them, just wire straight to existing heights.

At the end of the day though, if you are the client then the spark carrying out your work will liaise with you and inform you correctly:thumbsup

hmmmm not sure ill have to consult the regs, but i susspect not, the fuse board is not something you should have to access as a consumer, well at least not often. and any problems/work done on it, should be done by a proffessional.
its not like switches and sockets,

hmmmm not sure ill have to consult the regs, but i susspect not, the fuse board is not something you should have to access as a consumer, well at least not often. and any problems/work done on it, should be done by a proffessional.
its not like switches and sockets,

There is a specific height recommended for Consumer Units but this only applies to new installations, not existing ones.

Anything old can be wired to as it was unless iirc there is to be a change of use or the property is having a complete refurbishment:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

one said yes and one said no : $

Which one is a Part P approved contractor?

they both, part P....

The house is having a completly new circuit, lights and mains etc

As already said, it doesn't have to. I did a complete refurb last year, put the consumer unit at 1200 as the owner was in a wheelchair and was then told by the owner that he wanted it moved back up to almost ceiling height!!! Where do you want it?

FFS!!, a rewire is replacing like for like, a new build or top to bottom refurbishment is a different story, however the regs say, and it is a requirement of and EICR that all switchgear is easily accessible, so with the exception of nailing it to the landing ceiling, put it where you like within reason!

Last edited:
FFS!!, a rewire is replacing like for like, a new build or top to bottom refurbishment is a different story, however the regs say, and it is a requirement of and EICR that all switchgear is easily accessible, so with the exception of nailing it to the landing ceiling, put it where you like within reason!

wow, somebody aint gettin any.

This is a very interesting topic. I have seen 2 new builds, one 2 years ago where all the houses & flats on the development built by the same developer had the CU in the hallway at 1200 high, just right for smashing into with furniture etc. when people were moving in.

The second new build, only just completing with two different developers each building circa 50 houses all had the CU in varying locations but at approx 2000 high. I suspect this is down to different building controls and there interpretation on the regs. Comments on regs and building control are welcome.

Reply to consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock