Discuss Consumer units... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
When fitting a consumer unit what do you use to tighten terminals...?

regular screwdriver either slotted , pozi or pz/s Tip

torque screwdriver either slotted , pozi or PZ/s tip

impact driver / battery drill with a pozi bit

i have always used a regular slotted or pozi screwdriver but wondered what others use

Torque driver with pozi/ slotted bits.

just have to remember to change the setting between the mainswitch terminals and the mcb ones

When fitting a consumer unit what do you use to tighten terminals...?

regular screwdriver either slotted , pozi or pz/s Tip

torque screwdriver either slotted , pozi or PZ/s tip

impact driver / battery drill with a pozi bit

i have always used a regular slotted or pozi screwdriver but wondered what others use

Hello Dustydazzler.
I use a standard screwdriver every time as pre-set torque figures unsettle me a bit. I "settle" stranded conductors by hand whilst tightening the terminal, then tug test-check for security. Single-strand conductors need care to avoid crushing the conductor; I double these over. On completion of the entire consumer unit I then tug and re-check all screw terminations, re-settling the stranded ones. The incoming main tails get three settlement checks like this and I always check these any time I access an isolated consumer unit. It works for me, but I've been in game since long before torque screwdrivers appeared on the scene and prefer to rely on experience. I've never encountered a subsequent loose connection that I've been made aware of. I use the same basic procedure for all accessories too.
Regards,
Colin Jenkins.

same here, except i use a small battery driver with variable torque in the first instance. firstly to back off all MCB terminals to ensure that the busbar is "in" the cage and not behind it; then to tighten before using a regular +/- hand driver (Wiha). after a few minutes, wriggle and recheck. might use a torque job if I can find it. never had a loose terminal ever, except once or twice had busbar prong behind cage due to a magnetic driver pulling back on the screw head.... corrected after a few choice expletives.

same here, except i use a small battery driver with variable torque in the first instance. firstly to back off all MCB terminals to ensure that the busbar is "in" the cage and not behind it; then to tighten before using a regular +/- hand driver (Wiha). after a few minutes, wriggle and recheck. might use a torque job if I can find it. never had a loose terminal ever, except once or twice had busbar prong behind cage due to a magnetic driver pulling back on the screw head.... corrected after a few choice expletives.
"Choice Expletives" unlike you Tel.

While on topic...

are people using the older solid strand tails or using the Fine multi strand newer tails...

I have seen afew youtuber bods using the newer fine stranded tails

question is whether or not to ferrule the ends of fine strand as they are in a cage, not directly under a screw. personally i'd ferrule them if i were to use them. i'd like other members opinions.

Not used em but I ferrule all other fine strand so gonna say I would...

Does anyone still fit 16mm tails when the tails from the cut out to meter are 16

or does everyone just do 25mm as standard from meter to consumer unit regardless

I would hardly call the 19-strand tails "fine", I mean the strands are about the same a 10mm 7-strand!

Fine stranded to me would be tri-rated, and that should be ferruled in all cases (and definitely out for DNO connection).

Reply to Consumer units... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock