Discuss consumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peter Woodford

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Could you tell me when installing a fuse board to meet the 17th edition regs does your consumer unit have to be spilt load i.e 2no rcd breakers. Was going to install split board one side with main isolator other with 1No rcd so that not everything trips on one side.Hope you understand this

cheers

Pete

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

Spudnik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Peter,

Basically yes, all circuits SHOULD be RCD protected, so you could install a standard split load board, but the unprotected circuits would need to have an RCBO in place of a standard MCB.

This can work out fairly expensive so a 17th Dual RCD board is the best way to go.

T

tonytrying

hi
i think u can as long as u get departures from client, but dont think spilt board complies,,, sure someone will tell u if i am wrong

hi
again, knew i was wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pushrod

Peter,

Basically yes, all circuits SHOULD be RCD protected, so you could install a standard split load board, but the unprotected circuits would need to have an RCBO in place of a standard MCB.

This can work out fairly expensive so a 17th Dual RCD board is the best way to go.
Is it not possible to have a named circuit before the 2 splits that is not rcd protected ( as long as it does not contravene other regs like buried less than 50 mm )eg a freezer radial, so that it does not suffer nuisance tripping?

S

Spudnik

Yes you can but as you have said, as long as it does not go against other regs and is clearly labeled it can be left off RCD protection.

P

pushrod

Yes you can but as you have said, as long as it does not go against other regs and is clearly labeled it can be left off RCD protection.
cheers - thought i had read that somewhere :)

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to consumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom