Discuss Contactor for outside heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi looking for some advice, looking to put some outside heaters (in my garden) 2 x 2500w, now I want a time delay switch but this can only switch 16A, so I’m looking at putting a contactor in as I already have one, but I’ve only ever used contactors twice before, is this the best way to set up and is drawing fine?
Thanks

Attachments

• Contactor for outside heaters E03FBDB9-E761-4B84-9E63-E5D7F7244351 - EletriciansForums.net
    E03FBDB9-E761-4B84-9E63-E5D7F7244351.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 49
looks good from here. i assume you omitted the earthing from the diagram for clarity?

looks good from here. i assume you omitted the earthing from the diagram for clarity?
Yes I did, wanted to check there was no easier way, my only problem is my contactor will be next to fuse board but the switch is far so I may be best just running a 3 core to switch as I don’t really want to run 2 cables
[automerge]1581239397[/automerge]
Also is there anything on here or sites where I can gain some understanding of contactors as I’ve only used a few times wanted to learn about them a bit,
Also when using a contactor do you have to have control circuit and supply on different circuits? As example 32amp all on same circuit 4mm to contactor then say 1.5mm to delay switch then 4mm to heaters is there an issue with that as delay switch is not control the load and cable is only switching the contactor
[automerge]1581239444[/automerge]
Or is the way to have a control circuit and supply?

Last edited:
You can either have a separate control circuit at 6a, or loop from the live side of the contactor and feed through a 6a device. If the contactor is in an enclosure I would just mount a 6a mcb alongside on the din rail. You could also run two load cables to the contactor and run through separate poles which may reduce cable size over looping one heater from the other.
Can I respectfully suggest 5Kw of heat outdoors is maybe not very environmentally responsible, cant you just put a cardy on?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can either have a separate control circuit at 6a, or loop from the live side of the contactor and feed through a 6a device. If the contactor is in an enclosure I would just mount a 6a mcb alongside on the din rail.
Can I respectfully suggest 5Kw of heat outdoors is maybe not very environmentally responsible, cant you just put a cardy on?
So 4mm to say number 1 on contactor loop to 6a then that’s my control circuit? So never just have one circuit for supply and control then? Sorry appreciate your help and what’s cardy it won’t be used all the time mainly on summer nights when it’s colder

So 4mm to say number 1 on contactor loop to 6a then that’s my control circuit? So never just have one circuit for supply and control then? Sorry appreciate your help and what’s cardy it won’t be used all the time mainly on summer nights when it’s colder
If you loop from the incoming live for your control supply it is still one circuit, it's just that if your supply is at 32a you'll need to provide a lower rated device for fault protection for the control part of the circuit if that's wired in 1.5mm. You could also feed the control circuit from a completely separate device in the DB, then there would be two circuits, the heater and control circuits. Generally simpler to keep it as one, with the control part sub-fused. Also means the whole lot isolates from one device at the DB

If you loop from the incoming live for your control supply it is still one circuit, it's just that if your supply is at 32a you'll need to provide a lower rated device for fault protection for the control part of the circuit if that's wired in 1.5mm. You could also feed the control circuit from a completely separate device in the DB, then there would be two circuits, the heater and control circuits. Generally simpler to keep it as one, with the control part sub-fused. Also means the whole lot isolates from one device at the DB
Thanks mate understand it better now, as you say the contactor will most likely be within an enclosure so can be fused in there, plus I only have 1 MCB spare in my fuse box hahahaha
Thanks again everyone

Hi looking for some advice, looking to put some outside heaters (in my garden) 2 x 2500w, now I want a time delay switch but this can only switch 16A, so I’m looking at putting a contactor in as I already have one, but I’ve only ever used contactors twice before, is this the best way to set up and is drawing fine?
Thanks

Hi Bradley,

I read your post and I just wanted to make sure the contactor you already have is a NO (Normally Open) contactor. I'm not overly familiar with them either but I thought that's something to check before you start the job.

Regards

I'd be inclined to have 2x 16A circuits feeding the heaters, both switched by the contactor.
[automerge]1581260803[/automerge]
You can either have a separate control circuit at 6a, or loop from the live side of the contactor and feed through a 6a device. If the contactor is in an enclosure I would just mount a 6a mcb alongside on the din rail. You could also run two load cables to the contactor and run through separate poles which may reduce cable size over looping one heater from the other.

Why 6A for a control circuit? I normally go for 1A for a small number of contactors.

I'd be inclined to have 2x 16A circuits feeding the heaters, both switched by the contactor.
[automerge]1581260803[/automerge]

Why 6A for a control circuit? I normally go for 1A for a small number of contactors.
I only have 1 spare way in my fuse board, but understand what your saying, and I presume he was just making the point about 6A MCB as I have drawn it on my drawing, I’ve seen the 1A fuses you can buy makes more sense but it makes no difference either way

says the man with a barbeque and a 5kW hot tub. :p :p :p

I only have 1 spare way in my fuse board, but understand what your saying, and I presume he was just making the point about 6A MCB as I have drawn it on my drawing, I’ve seen the 1A fuses you can buy makes more sense but it makes no difference either way

It does make a difference, and it doesn't have to be a fuse, a 1A MCB is fine.

It does make a difference, and it doesn't have to be a fuse, a 1A MCB is fine.
Why does it matter? Aslong as the control circuit isn’t higher than the supply circuit?
It doesn't really make any difference, nor does it matter. Either use a 6a mcb or a 1a fuse/mcb, either way the control part of the circuit is protected. The only reason you might decide on a lower rated device over a 6a mcb is to ensure only the local device operates in the event of a fault on the control circuit. However as nothing will operate if the control circuit fails it hardly matters if both devices operate.

Hahahaha oh well
Where is Greta when you need Her?
[automerge]1581273452[/automerge]
Why does it matter? Aslong as the control circuit isn’t higher than the supply circuit?
But you can install the fuse in the same enclosure as the contactor rather than takev up any spare ways in the CU for a 1Amp cb.

Reply to Contactor for outside heaters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock