Discuss Contactor or this PIR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a job to do next week, just wanted your opinion on it really,

I am fitting a Dimplex IRX2000 Infrared Heater 2kW, and it needs to come on automatically when someone enters the room, only a small outside toilet.

Anyway, I was going to put it on a PIR with a contactor, but then just looking at the PIR it says "Switching capacity: 2000W incandescent and 500W fluorescent."

What do you think? A contactor would be the better option I would have thought.

I was going to use this: LAP Indoor Ceiling Flush PIR | Light Sensors | NoLinkingToThis

Yep. Contactor. Mind you I cant see the point as surely the room will still be cold by the time anyone is finishes their business.

Ooops. Just re-read. Infrared heater......

Where's the naughty step?

Last edited:
If the pir is rated to switch 2KW then it is rated to switch your chosen heater. You will find that the contacts in the pir relay will not last as long when switching their full load rating as they would if only switching the load of a contactor coil.

I think for what it's worth I'll go down the contactor option as I know it's the better option.

there have been a few ideas floating round in my head for heating, one was not at all, the other was a small storage heater who h would work ok and the others were IR or a down flow heater.

i did stress to them that by the to eh you have had a pee it will still be cold so a storage heater would possibly be more suited, but they didnt want it, so have gone down the IR route.

this sodding toilet is a pain in the bum, I had to hang a sodding chandelier in there last week, apparently snobby people who have their nails done etc like to have a nice toilet.

check the wall paper out, this was ÂŁ150 per roll I think they said!

image.jpg

I couldn't care less how much money was wasted on upside down feeding troughs.

I was just curious as to whether they were going to burn out the lamp holders and internal wiring in a matter of weeks or not.

They'd be buggered if the top was closed, the heat from the lamps would knacker them very quickly. It's the same as those glass teardrop shaped lampshades you can get or fire rated downlights with dichroic lamps in.

The combined heat output from 5x 60W lamps is quite considerable!

Reply to Contactor or this PIR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net