Discuss Contactor question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to replace a standard contactor 25a
That is used to pull in a 3 phase extraction fan.
I called a wholesaler who said just put a 63a one in it will be fine.
Surely I would be in danger of over current with this ?

I've not used many contactors so want to make sure it's installed correctly. I usually prefer to change like for like.

I need to replace a standard contactor 25a
That is used to pull in a 3 phase extraction fan.
I called a wholesaler who said just put a 63a one in it will be fine.
Surely I would be in danger of over current with this ?

I've not used many contactors so want to make sure it's installed correctly. I usually prefer to change like for like.
How is the fan started DOL. S.D, ??

if this is in an enclosure with a start and stop/reset button on the front then,
change like for like, any change in the physical size will stop the buttons from working.

As long as the contactor will fit and has the current carrying capacity, it's the overload size that matters. The 'built in reset' is not an rcd, probably the overload. You say the user can reset it......is it in a control panel or a stand alone starter

Last edited:
I am presuming it is in a box like this?
if so, the same make and model is important.
p.s. there are 2 items in there, the contactor is the bit at the top with white label showing and the overload is the bit at the bottom with a small red button.
Contactor question dol - EletriciansForums.net

I am presuming it is in a box like this?
if so, the same make and model is important.
p.s. there are 2 items in there, the contactor is the bit at the top with white label showing and the overload is the bit at the bottom with a small red button.
View attachment 53819
Maybe. But where is the 'reset on the front'?
If that's what it is, it may be as per the photo but inside a panel.
I'm not PRESUMING, though. Let's wait for further info.

Maybe. But where is the 'reset on the front'?
If that's what it is, it may be as per the photo but inside a panel.
I'm not PRESUMING, though. Let's wait for further info.
No there is a controller that has on and off and under that controller is a contactor that is inside an enclosure but has a reset connected to a coil.

No there is a controller that has on and off and under that controller is a contactor that is inside an enclosure but has a reset connected to a coil.
In that case, it’s not on the front, it’s in an enclosure. If it needs to be regularly reset, it may be a motor or contact problem and shouldn’t be interfered with, especially by someone unqualified, working in situ.

In that case, it’s not on the front, it’s in an enclosure. If it needs to be regularly reset, it may be a motor or contact problem and shouldn’t be interfered with, especially by someone unqualified, working in situ.

I'm qualified but not seen anything like this before. Contactor connections are inside an enclosure and reset sit in a cut out for end user reset

Attachments

• Contactor question IMG_20191114_103806 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20191114_103806.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 42
As above, it's an MPU.

OP - if you don't understand that, maybe time to tell your customer the same.
Well I was asking here as I wanted to changed like for like but the wholesaler had no idea what it was from the model number
[automerge]1575048486[/automerge]
Well I was asking here as I wanted to changed like for like but the wholesaler had no idea what it was from the model number
I love the welcoming overwhelming support you get here, like there aren't so many different types of electricians and if you ask a question or for help your told to get a professional, wonderful

[automerge]1575048486[/automerge]

I love the welcoming overwhelming support you get here, like there aren't so many different types of electricians and if you ask a question or for help your told to get a professional, wonderful
Have you sorted out the problem, then?

I'm qualified but not seen anything like this before. Contactor connections are inside an enclosure and reset sit in a cut out for end user reset

That's not a contactor, it looks like a motor protection circuit breaker.
If you cannot get that particular brand it is likely you could use an alternative brand, but that can only be assessed by someone competent who has seen and understands the system and the rules about working on motor control.

What are you qualified as? Personally I'm a qualified electrician but that does not qualify me to work on this equipment and I wouldn't be deemed competent.

It's not the sort of thing the average wholesaler normally deals with, youd be better off with a supplier who normally deal with motor controls or panel building supplies.

Lee that is a standard motor starter which looks like for starting a small motor. Guys the reset button is on the overloads not the contractor. I’ve used and worked on many of that style of motor starters. It should be in 3 piece unit with a MSP ( motor) starter protector the contractor and the overloads. They all bolt together
[automerge]1575069458[/automerge]
Lee that is a standard motor starter which looks like for starting a small motor. Guys the reset button is on the overloads not the contractor. I’ve used and worked on many of that style of motor starters. It should be in 3 piece unit with a MSP ( motor) starter protector the contractor and the overloads. They all bolt together

Lee is it in a bucket in an motor control center MCC

Reply to Contactor question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock