Discuss Contactors & Relays in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scubasimon

Hi

We have recently installed a PV system that needs to be switched when a generator starts. The generator control panel has a VFC (240V/5A) we can use to signal the contactor. There is a 150m run to the PV supply I need to isolate. I was planning to use a 40A contactor to isolate, however this is where I am a bit sketchy as its a long time since I've done anything like this. I have been told I need to use a relay as the VFC is 5A max. Can someone please help and explain what I need and how to wire this. Thanks.

I assume the contactor is to kill the PV supply.

It would help if you had stated the control voltage

The inrush current of a contactor coil of that size will be well below 5A. Therefore an interface relay may not be necessary. The coil voltage used is important in this matter.

Please in future, give as much detail as possible. A sketch would help as it makes life so much easier.

I assume the contactor is to kill the PV supply.

It would help if you had stated the control voltage

The inrush current of a contactor coil of that size will be well below 5A. Therefore an interface relay may not be necessary. The coil voltage used is important in this matter.

Please in future, give as much detail as possible. A sketch would help as it makes life so much easier.

Thanks Tony
Ive attached a sketch of what I think is right. My main questions are :

1. Is this ok to wire like this or do I need a relay of sorts for the feed over to the VFC?
2. Will a 2.5 T&E cable be ok for the 190m run?

Thanks again for your help!Contactors & Relays CCI27112014_0000 - EletriciansForums.net

Use a 24V AC octal base relay and a 15VA 230/24V transformer. Switch the contactor via the relay. I would include a fuse for the transformer.

The relay is usually only about 5VA but the transformer will give a bit of leeway when things get altered (as they invariably do.)

Reply to Contactors & Relays in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock