Discuss Containment choice for small commercial units. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Just looking for others view on the way they would approach containment in small commercial units. I know cost is an important factor, but if the customer hasn't specified exactly what they would like, would you go down?

The route of tray fastened to the walls, with SWA tied to it and dropping down to the isolators plus etc or would you prefer to install galv trunking around, then drop down in conduits, using singles.

Going to look at a small commercial unit later on today, so thought i'd see what others would do. Nearly always in the past i've gone down the SWA/tray route, but that's mainly because how the previous works been done.

Would like to get other view and opinions on this

Thanks

Personally I would go for galv trunking with conduit drops wired in singles.

The modern method does seem to be basket/tray and SWA/hituf. Which as a dinosaur I hate.

On the trunking front mate depends on the enviroment if it's a nice clean IT repair type place or builder then PVC can be a nice job, with some of the eubiq power management system, but pricey though.

If it's more heavy commerical say a garage or something then trunking and galv conduit.

Nice bit of galv 4x4 run at around 8ft b/e drops to equipment
other rout is trunking/conduit for lighting and central busbar for machinery as som places like the option to move machinery around

Looking at the kind of machines they have, once they've been leveled and installed they stay put, plus once all his kit is in he won't have any spare space to move them around.

He want a price for both ways so time to get my brain in gear and do some calcs me thinks.

Cheers for the input guys:icon14:

give them the option. IMO, you can have tray and SWA up and running in the time it takes to fit trunking and conduit containment only, then you got to wire it.

Hi Amp i,m just in the process of wiring a small commercial unit that just distributes clutches, they had a second floor built as offices and all was a blank canvas, i ve used plastic 50 x50 trunking
and drops in plastic conduit its been a good job so far with a mix of low bays , high bays , cat2 lighting in offices all on Klix plugs to enable is testing.

I used plastic due to the good environment with no machinery, or detrimental influences.

Did a similar job not long ago, they wanted it cheapish and as all machines were fed by spurs from the DB, I clipped direct SWA to a mix of single and three phase isolators and commandos.

It looked quite neat.

Id go with the galv trunking and conduit or galv trunking and placcy conduit if the area is not at risk of high impact.
Galv trunking is slightly cheaper then placcy and is lots better, you could jump gaps with steel and its rigid, plastic distorts over any little lump.

I would go for galvanised trunking and conduit drops*. The drops can be knocked out quickly in the W/S before hand. Just set a standard height for every outlet and switch, simple! Professional looking and robust.

*To be honest I’d really go for battleship grey GE PowerCentre trunking and black japanned conduit with no CPC in any of it, but I’m old fashioned!

I would go for galvanised trunking and conduit drops*. The drops can be knocked out quickly in the W/S before hand. Just set a standard height for every outlet and switch, simple! Professional looking and robust.

*To be honest I’d really go for battleship grey GE PowerCentre trunking and black japanned conduit with no CPC in any of it, but I’m old fashioned!

Haha, If left to my own devices, I run all the trunking and conduit without any CPC, I use locknuts or scratchy washers behind any bushes, silicone grease on any joints, bonding links etc. Best readings you will ever get.
I also think it encourages people to do a better conduit job If they know it has to be relied on for earth, you treat every joint like a cable joint 'with care and make sure its tight!'

Reply to Containment choice for small commercial units. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net