Discuss Containment for tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Evening all

Have a consumer unit change next week, the board is high level in a bedroom with 16mm tails buried in the wall. I’m replacing the tails but they don’t want any trunking in the bedroom, the mains is below for consumer unit I was going to trunk up the outside wall and drill in?

Any others suggestions...

NO WAY, JOSE. options are:
1. use existing tails.
2. feed new tails up cavity.

Evening all

Have a consumer unit change next week, the board is high level in a bedroom with 16mm tails buried in the wall. I’m replacing the tails but they don’t want any trunking in the bedroom, the mains is below for consumer unit I was going to trunk up the outside wall and drill in?

Any others suggestions...
If your going outside id be using swa or similar possibly with capping over it as it would look better than a cleated cable. Not a chance of be putting tails or trunking up the wall outside.

Personally, I'd cut a chase and use some of this:-

@Leesparkykent highlighted this sometime ago and it's great stuff for this kind of thing. I have tried drilling it and it's hard, not something you could drill through accidentally and I'd be very surprised if you could put a screw or nail through it without exerting forces that should tell you there is something in the wall.

I have been on a new site , all the 25mm tails were poking out at meter box, all run through cavity/stud. I know because it was still at 1st fix stage.
This method is still being practice'd.

tails passed straight through the cavity horizontal or even at a very slight angle happens all the time.
but fishing tails up or down the cavity using several yards isnt ideal imo

I'd be tempted to use SWA made off in a small adaptable box within meter box in this scenario. And if SWA more than 3m then use a switch fuse in place of adaptable box.
Seen a few new builds recently with 2 meter boxes side by side for this purpose. Metering kit in one, switch fuse in other one. UKPN must have put their foot down on other folks kit in 'their' box on those!

Reply to Containment for tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net