Discuss Continuity of CPC at Ceiling Rose in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KingKenny

Had to leave a job early tonight, so couldn't resolve what should be a simple issue, but now it's buzzing round my brain. I have 5 ceiling rose's and pendants in a good old loop system. All 1 Way. I have good continuity readings at rose numbers 1,2,3 and 5. I have good continuity readings ALL the switches. All between 0.18 and 0.40 Ohms. BUT .... I'm getting an open circuit reading at Rose #4. I thought the issue might be poor earth connection at the rose, but this is fine - ditto the switch live and all the other cable connections at the rose appear to be tight in their blocks. So ... Given the switch appears to be fine and both the upstream rose (#3) and the downstream rose (#5) also appears to be fine, this leaves the cable from the switch to rose #4 as the likely issue does it not? Will the connection to the actual pendant, if loose cause this issue? - Thanks - KK

if it's looped at the fittings, then either the cpc's have a poor connection at fitting, or it could be on the L from the switch, a high resistance in the switch. as the actual cpc is looped from fitting to fitting, the cpc to the switch should not have any effect on your reading. try a R2 reading on it's own to confirm.

Thanks tele - I'll do this. The cpc's certainly have a sound connection at the rose - it was the one thing I DID get a chance to do before I took one last reading at the rose.

I'd disconnect the CPC's at rose #4 and reterminate in the fitting. Its worth trying.
Yes, mate - That's was my first thought as to the issue - maybe a bit of sleeving caught in the earth terminal in the rose, so I stripped back the sleeving from all three cpc's (I'll replace them tomorrow and the installation is not live) and refixed them into the terminal at the rose. Still got an open circuit. No worries - I'll sort it out tomorrow.

if it's looped at the fittings, then either the cpc's have a poor connection at fitting, or it could be on the L from the switch, a high resistance in the switch. as the actual cpc is looped from fitting to fitting, the cpc to the switch should not have any effect on your reading. try a R2 reading on it's own to confirm.
best way tel.....
dont arse about with (R1 R2) when you`v lost it....straight to method 2....

Thinking about this though. If the R1 + R2 reading at rose 3 is good, which it is, and the cpc from the switch to/for rose 4 doesn't effect the reading, then all that's left is the loop from rose 3 to rose 4. Interesting. R2 at both of these will prove this, yes?

Thinking about this though. If the R1 + R2 reading at rose 3 is good, which it is, and the cpc from the switch to/for rose 4 doesn't effect the reading, then all that's left is the loop from rose 3 to rose 4. Interesting. R2 at both of these will prove this, yes?
well....you know where your last point is where you got a value yes....
so anything beyond that where its open......
this is why method 2 is the choice here....you can just quickly go from point to point.....

Had to leave a job early tonight, so couldn't resolve what should be a simple issue, but now it's buzzing round my brain. I have 5 ceiling rose's and pendants in a good old loop system. All 1 Way. I have good continuity readings at rose numbers 1,2,3 and 5. I have good continuity readings ALL the switches. All between 0.18 and 0.40 Ohms. BUT .... I'm getting an open circuit reading at Rose #4. I thought the issue might be poor earth connection at the rose, but this is fine - ditto the switch live and all the other cable connections at the rose appear to be tight in their blocks. So ... Given the switch appears to be fine and both the upstream rose (#3) and the downstream rose (#5) also appears to be fine, this leaves the cable from the switch to rose #4 as the likely issue does it not? Will the connection to the actual pendant, if loose cause this issue? - Thanks - KK

So taking the chaff out of this we have the following;

• Conventional three plate lighting circuit in T&E with no two way switches at all
  • Ceiling Rose #4 has an open circuit
  • All legs of circuit appear to be OK except for the above mentioned fault.
  • You have not yet tested the switch line from Rose#4 to switch#4

Questions;

1. Does the pendant/light actually work
  2. Is this "open circuit" confined to the cpc (although I get this from your posts, as do the others, I would like you to confirm)
  3. How are you actually testing the legs of the circuit to confirm their status?

Perhaps then you can get some more pointed advice.

So taking the chaff out of this we have the following;

• Conventional three plate lighting circuit in T&E with no two way switches at all
  • Ceiling Rose #4 has an open circuit
  • All legs of circuit appear to be OK except for the above mentioned fault.
  • You have not yet tested the switch line from Rose#4 to switch#4

Questions;

1. Does the pendant/light actually work
  2. Is this "open circuit" confined to the cpc (although I get this from your posts, as do the others, I would like you to confirm)
  3. How are you actually testing the legs of the circuit to confirm their status?

Perhaps then you can get some more pointed advice.
Outspoken - Not quite. I have tested Continuity (R1 + R2) at the switch (ok) and the Light Pendant (Open Circuit). To answer your specific questions ... (1) Don't know (!) wanted to test before energising the circuit to see if the light works .... (2) Don't know - it was an assumption given I couldn't complete testing before I had to leave. R2 test tomorrow will confirm. (3) See the OP - I haven't had an opportunity to test fully as yet. Will (re) check connections at Rose 3 and Rose 4 tomorrow, then R2 test. Then I'll know more. I'll get the wander lead out and go from there.

kenny....
go method 2.....forget (R1 R2)....1st prove R1....then go point to point on R2...
its the wander lead here mate.....

if you`f got a supply to all points then energise....prove functional...that gets R1 out of the way....
dont worry..it`l be ok as theres a competant person on site (you).....

- - - Updated - - -

then kill it....and get your R2s....

Hello everyone - VERY ****ed off with myself. Started the day by testing neutral v cpc at rose #4. All of you know what's coming next. I have a 'system' when I first fix with the three cables at ceiling rose's. Inner Loop - cut the cable square. Outgoing Loop - strip an inch off the outer sheath leaving the conductors exposed. Switch wire - Nick the cable with a single vertical cut. Then, when I come to wire up the rose, I know which cable is which - especially which switch wire to sleeve brown. OF COURSE THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU NOTCH THE CABLES CORRECTLY AT FIRST FIX, YOU MORON!..... So sorry to have wasted everybody's time last night. KK

Hello everyone - VERY ****ed off with myself. Started the day by testing neutral v cpc at rose #4. All of you know what's coming next. I have a 'system' when I first fix with the three cables at ceiling rose's. Inner Loop - cut the cable square. Outgoing Loop - strip an inch off the outer sheath leaving the conductors exposed. Switch wire - Nick the cable with a single vertical cut. Then, when I come to wire up the rose, I know which cable is which - especially which switch wire to sleeve brown. OF COURSE THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU NOTCH THE CABLES CORRECTLY AT FIRST FIX, YOU MORON!..... So sorry to have wasted everybody's time last night. KK

Good man for your honesty. We all learn the hard way and you had the bxlls to tell us about your mistake!

Reply to Continuity of CPC at Ceiling Rose in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock