Discuss continuity on ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rosscohans

Hi. be nice for some feed back on this. I'm testing a ring main for an eicr. I know that the cpc reading should be around the 1.6 times higher than the live conductors but I'm getting 0.66 on live, 0.67 on neutral and 0.61 on cpc. I'm wondering, if the cpc are connected through the metal k.o box on some points would this bring the reading down? As I've checked every socket and all seems fine.

Is it in twin and earth or singles? If singles then the cpc is more than likely the same CSA as the live conductors and consequently the same resistance, within a range of about 0.05 ohms.
Additionally the cpc of an existing installation can have parallel earth paths and so can produce much lower readings.
carry on with the other crossover tests to confirm its a ring etc

On te 2.5mm the earth is 1.732 greater resistance . As mentioned above, parallels?

Actually on a 2.5mm twin cable the cpc is 1.5mm which is 1.67 x smaller which produces a resistance which is 1.67 x higher than the line conductor. This is the norm.
A parallel path is a secondary route to earth other than the primary cpc path. Examples are main bonding conductors, supplementary bonding etc etc
These paths will reduce the resistance and consequently your resistance readings may be less than you would expect

Last edited:
As has been said above the CPC in this circuit is the same size as the Line and neutral weather its 1.5mm, 2.5mm, etc
Even if the CPC did go though back boxes it would not make any difference - however if you had metal trunking/conduit and that was used as the CPC that would bring the r2 down.

Reply to continuity on ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I wonder if I can get some opinion on my deliberations on an old TPN installation with numerous 1P sub-boards wired up with 16mm T&E...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm wondering if someone could help me with some EICR coding. I am aware that bringing mains tails into a fire rated consumer unit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock