Discuss Continuity problem. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Peter88

Hello,
Though qualified I have never actually worked as an electrician. I now have a problem at home.
I have a situation I can't get my head around. Its a partition wall, timber and hollow. The wiring is all inside. On one half I have power, with common working. On the other half I have live phase but no common. I can't find a loose contact. When using a multimeter I get 240 volts on the not working side but only when using earth as common.

Is it normal for earth to complete a circuit like this? Am I right in assuming that coomon is broken somewhere? With earth acting as a common does this suggest its touching somewhere?

Thanks

Hi,
Sorry down with man flu... not at my best.
It's the main power I am talking about. Its a ring main.

I can't recall the correct phrases, I am refering to neutral as being common. It suddenly stopped working in three sockets. With no apparent action to cause. Since nothing was being messed with, can't figure out why it happened. Only other odd factor was a dead mouse, caught in a trap NOT electrocuted :)
Maybe it did damage prior to commiting suicide?

<sniff>

I haven't checked at the board, I only have a basic multimeter. Theer are only 3 sockets affected, the others on the same ring are all working.

best way to find out is opening the board up and looking there as long as you feal competent enough there as you say your not an electrician might be ebst getting a local sparky to have a look

Also a ring is 32amp breaker, but double check the cables in the board, don't forget to kill the main switch!

Thanks, I am ok going in the board, presumably I am looking for the wires to be 'doubled' up fora ring?
If not?
Is it normal for the earth to act as 'neutral'? Or does this suggest a fault? On testing a wire bridging neutral to earth rectifies the socket fault. (In the sense of them working).

dont just persume its a ring because wires are doubled its a ring
ul need todo a continuity test between live and live neutral and neutral and earth and earth

the earth shouldnt be used as a neutral

Hi,
Thanks, I think there is a misunderstanding.. I'm not suggesting earth SHOULD be used as a neutral, I am asking if its normal that it works this way? I've explained that it does work (using earth as neutral) in order to try to get at what's happened.
IF its normal that it would work (safety aside) then it doesn't help me to diagnose the problem. If its not normal, it suggests a crossed wire somewhere? I have no intention of 'fixing' it by doing this.
Can I test for continuity at the box by using a multimeter?
I have opened every socket, they all appear properly wired with nothing crossed. They have worked for quite some time. My logic tells me it has to be a break in the neutral phase, I simply cannot find it.
Thanks again, I appreciate people's time.

TNCS/PME ? sounds like you have a broken N at some point if ring split and con or IR test both legs untill bad leg found if radial discon sockets one by one untill found etc you can check using multimeter if you like or a socket check plug should work.
Regards
Kung.

P.S. If it is a dead mouse/rat the 500v IR test should shift it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I am ok going in the board, presumably I am looking for the wires to be 'doubled' up fora ring?
If not?
Is it normal for the earth to act as 'neutral'? Or does this suggest a fault? On testing a wire bridging neutral to earth rectifies the socket fault. (In the sense of them working).
i would call a local spark in imho ;)

You probably would get 240V between line and earth as the earth is combined with the neutral after it has left the property, if it is a TNCS/PME supply.

I think maybe you should enlist the services of a local electrician.

It is very difficult to describe faults on a forum.:)

Reply to Continuity problem. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock