Discuss Continuity readings unstable using Megger MFT 1730 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sting Ray

Has anyone experienced issues with continuity readings fluctuating on a Megger 1730 MFT when the test leads rotate/move in the instrument as is the unavoidable condition when actually using the tester?
I can null the leads but thereafter the reading with the leads connected to each other can jump to anything up to 1 ohm if the jack plug rotates.
The instrument was recently sent to Industrial Services Limited for repair and calibration and returned with a statement saying in specification, no recal required and they cleaned the contacts but alas no improvement. I've tried new leads but same problem.
I'm wondering about possible dry joints somewhere behind the test lead sockets.

try a different set of leads first. my 1553 is more stable with kyoritsu leads than the megger ones.

I don't think its the leads. The continuity reading with the leads shorted can climb to anything over an ohm if I disturb either jack plug regardless of which leads I am using.

Try ringing Megger I know there was a issue with the 1552 and it was repaired free the same fault occurred and it was a connection issue inside the unit !

Megger technical have said there have been "one or two" instances of this fault and have asked me to return the instrument to them which I will do. When I get it back I'll post the outcome.

Thanks good to see they are helping out!

Hope its a quick turnaround and they sort the issue !

I returned my 1552 to Megger twice, when it was returned it was fine for a few weeks before playing up again. The cost of returning it and hiring a replacement was becoming a hassle, so I finally bought a stand alone continuity / IR tester.

Fair play to Megger, they retrospectively logged the instrument for 3 year extended warranty and replaced the input terminal module and updated the software for no charge. All is fine now.

Reply to Continuity readings unstable using Megger MFT 1730 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock