Discuss Continuity testing with a junction box system. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

schoe

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone could give me soon advice. I have just installed some spot lights in my kitchen and before i connect them up i want to do a continuity test. I have run the power from a circuit breaker into a junction box, then from the junction box i have run my switch wire and wire to the next light using the junction box system.

Looking at the osg it says you should test at the furthest point, i have tested at the switch and have an acceptable reading, ive testing the power coming into the junction box this is also acceptable. My question is how do you test at each spot light? Using the juction box system when you link the phase and earth at in the C/U you can naturally test the incoming power and switch as they are all interlinked but the spots lights arent. Therefore when you test at the spot light you dont get a reading like you would with a standard ceiling rose.

To test this part of the circuit would you have to disconnect the lighting wire from the junction box and test the lights separatly or is there a simpler way,

Any advice would be really helpful, regards Chris

You test as you would any other lighting circuit.

Link Line and CPC in the CU and measure between Line and CPC at the switch and each fitting. If you aint getting a reading at the fittings, you've either not closed the switch or cock something up along the way.

Also, what do you mean by measuring the power?

Not cmpletely clear on what you mean but if its the R1/R2 test, you connect live/cpc at the board, close the light switch and measure between L/E at the furthest light point, if you have a spider system where all the lights come back to a single JB you have to measure at each light and record the highest reading.

You type faster than me^^^^^

Last edited:

Reply to Continuity testing with a junction box system. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net