Discuss Control panel feeder cable sizing in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lc1

-
Reaction score
We have a control panel that has a few fan motors (3phase) and two heaters ( 3 phase) and single phase loads to valve actuators. My question is regarding the sizing of the feeder cable to this control panel. Do we work out all the currents individually and then add them and treat this as a "lump sum" to size the feeder cable and its associated protection.

Thanks very much

Nothing at all even the drawings are old. Would you treat the load as one lump for approximate calculations?

This control panel should be CE marked, and thus must have a total load stamped somewhere on it.

If it doesn't whoever has sold it has broken the law, and whoever now has it, if put in use will also be breaking the law.

On a technical aspect, adding the FLC of everything in the panel is a safe way of making sure the supply should big enough, however, what if all the motors are designed to start at once? Are they interlocked so only one motor can run at a time, if the latter is the case adding FLC will end up with an overrated supply and cost more than necessary.

If there are no drawings and no specifications for the equipment then you are in a bit of a pickle for doing the design (?) . Surely all the motors have a plate?

Yes I think it was marked but it's difficult to read now. Some of the equipment is for heating and some for cooling so these will not be on at the same time. What I am thinking is worse case and so taking it to be everything on at once , so for this approximation for the feeder cable we can take flc of all equipment and treat it as one load and then as more info becomes available we can factor in diversity etc ?

Thanks

Reply to Control panel feeder cable sizing in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock