Discuss Control system training help in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi i have passed my C&G 2330 level 3 and my 17th but where i work is a lot of control systems, relays, plc's sensors, i touched on these a little at collage but nothing major i was wondering if any one one knows what sort of training there is i have googled stuff but there is more home teaching stuff which i don't think much good i might be searching the wrong thing if any one can help would be great

I have never come accross courses for industrial control, probabaly because its such a huge arena, plc's, inverters, drives, instruments etc from differing manufacturers are all quite different, relying on different voltages or analogue or digital signals, its the sort of thing you learn from years of doing.

You need to look up Electrical Engineering courses and find one that covers control systems as it a very wide field, i would be inclined to get a little more on site experience of Electrical installation as this will aid you in understanding the cross-over points of electrical installation and engineering.

Cheers I will look at the engineering courses. We have plcs at our place but no software or even any drawings its like the machine is just thrown together when we get a problem with it I can get quite stuck lol.

go for it
plc's are not that difficult and automation control is a wide field but a rewarding one.
the greatest thing about plc/slc is that you only have to wire everything once but you can change how the machine operates just by changing the program
if you have excellent skill at programming and troubleshooting you could get roving assignments with really good pay

I learnt PLC programming in a day with a PLC starter kit, the only dificulty if programming them is making the logic system fail safe and idiot proof, anyone can make a command turn into a result with them but it can take up 90% of the programming ensuring its a safe system no matter what fails or breaks.

I learnt PLC programming in a day with a PLC starter kit, the only dificulty if programming them is making the logic system fail safe and idiot proof, anyone can make a command turn into a result with them but it can take up 90% of the programming ensuring its a safe system no matter what fails or breaks.
correct documentation of everything is a must
careful planning of what you want to accomplish
examining every possible thing that could go wrong and preventing them.

As said the best place to learn is on the job.

EandM Siemens Self-study Classes is a good resource for theory.

What is your location?

I know of a training provider in the Shropshire area that teaches Control Faultfinding, PLC basics, Electrical Maintenance, etc...

Electrical Training Courses West, East Midlands, North West, North East, London, South East, South West - I have purchased their book - basic but useful.

Else... Google as much as possible for PDFs.

Plenty of motor control info out there, especially at Eaton - Wiring Manual

I have compiled (well, got 50% way through) an apprentice program of everything control related for a controls novice, so if you have any specific questions, we here will do our best to HELP educate you to your requirements.

Great site, great bunch, great learning... use it wisely.

regards
s.f

Oh God No! Now we've got PLC programing in a day.

Don't worry Tony im fully compliant just expressing how simple the basics are, i got the grasp of it first before going down the proper route so not a 1DW in that case, i did also express the basics are simple but making sure your programme is safe is a total different level altogether.

I probably should have made myself clearer ... me thinks!

Don't worry Tony im fully compliant just expressing how simple the basics are, i got the grasp of it first before going down the proper route so not a 1DW in that case, i did also express the basics are simple but making sure your programme is safe is a total different level altogether.

I probably should have made myself clearer ... me thinks!

I suppose a lot depends on what you are doing. Plant sequence can be fairly basic, but you need to know the rules. Start getting in to speed/positional control etc. then there’s some headaches to come.
It’s a pity there isn’t a universal language for them. I was forced in to having to teach other electricians PL7 when we started to use that. They had spent years on Modsoft and just couldn’t break the habits of using the same short cut keys.

Tinson do run courses as I inquired a while ago, but he generally does courses on site, but he did say if the numbers were there he could run a course in Telford as it would be too expensive to do it for individuals pm me if you speak to him as I'm still interested but i'm working overseas for the next 2mths.

If it turns out to be too expensive Lockwells do a course covering basics but I couldn't say if its good or not maybe someone else has done it?

Reply to Control system training help in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net