Discuss Control transformer in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Brett1

-
Reaction score
Had issues with a 240v to 120v control transformer not supplying power to 2 cooling fans. Both fans were connected to transformer via X1 and X2 wiring. X2 wiring was not bonded to ground initially. After bonding X2 to ground, fans would run. Any explanation would be great.

Shouldn't X2 be grounded anyway? One theory you have lost the neutral (X2) at the fans and by grounding the transformer it has somehow resolved it.

Shouldn't X2 be grounded anyway? One theory you have lost the neutral (X2) at the fans and by grounding the transformer it has somehow resolved it.
Yes I believe that x2 should be grounded but wouldn’t you still have 120 volts between x1 and x2 off the transformer and thus power to run the fans?

Yes I believe that x2 should be grounded but wouldn’t you still have 120 volts between x1 and x2 off the transformer and thus power to run the fans?
It sounds like the transformer is good. You need to check continuity of X2 from the transformer to the fan motors.

Alright, definitely something to check. If the continuity were to be good. Should these fans be able to run even if x2 wasn’t grounded then?
Hard to say without being there. Have the fans ever run or is this a new installation.

Reply to Control transformer in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I installed a transformer for 5 smart thermostats, 1 of the thermostats trips the transformer fuse button right when I turn on the power. There is...
Replies
Views
Looking for counsel / guidance to replace an original Dayton On/off with speed control switch. I’ve checked with a couple local electrical supply...
Replies
Views
I want to make some electrical upgrades to my detached garage. I want to update the subpanel in the detached garage, and I want to add a 240V...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a little experience with most types of household wiring through a decade of DIY remodeling, and...
Replies
Views
I am installing a ceiling fan in a newly built home. The builders have left the wiring for this purpose. In the electrical box on the ceiling I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock