Discuss Controlling a light with 2 switches (3 way with 14/2 wire) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bgregware

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping there is something I can do to make this work without having to run 14/3 from switch to switch. I've attached my simple sketch of what I am working with but essentially everything has 14/2 running to it and 14/2 goes switch to switch.

From what I can tell this would be possible if the wire going to the light was in the box opposite of where the power comes into but I'm struggling to figure out if there is anything I can do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211208-200506_Keep Notes.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 6
To make the switches work as 3 way (2 way in the uk) you need 3 cores between them plus whatever is used as ground.

If the far away switch could get a hot (live) from another nearby source on the same circuit, the 2 cores you have could be used as travellers (strappers)

How’s my translation, @Megawatt ?

To make the switches work as 3 way (2 way in the uk) you need 3 cores between them plus whatever is used as ground.

If the far away switch could get a hot (live) from another nearby source on the same circuit, the 2 cores you have could be used as travellers (strappers)

My friend I’m sorry to tell you this but you have to have 14/3 to make 3 way switches work correctly as @littlespark stated above. Thanks for the help @littlespark.

@littlespark thanks. At the far switch I could possibly power it there. That is a 4 gang switch and there should be a power source.

Thanks alot! That could be an easy solution and I was just over thinking it.

I will reply after I'm able to take a look

Reply to Controlling a light with 2 switches (3 way with 14/2 wire) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net