Discuss Conversion of phone box for defibrillator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

fes

-
Reaction score
Has anyone undertaken the conversion of an adopted phone box to house a defib? Our village has adopted the phone box and if we apply through Community Heart Trust, we can continue to use the electrical supply. This is purely for a light and small fan/heater to keep the AED at an ambient temperature. I appreciate the box will require earthing via a rod and the supply will require RCD protection. Not having tackled this before, I'm not sure what sort of connection I will be left with once the phone is removed and what sort of containment will be required. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Fes, thank you for that query. I am currently trying to obtain a K6 telephone box for precisely that purpose, for our local branch of the Mens Shed charity.
I won't bore you with the many pics out there, I'm sure you have seen them
Red Telephone Boxes and Spares - http://www.x2connect.com/RedPhonebox/red%20phone%20box.aspx

and

K6 Photo Gallery - http://www.x2connect.com/RedPhonebox/K6PhotoGallery

Currently we await approval to install a defibrillator, and have provided a dedicated circuit to power the heater to keep it at the right temperature, albeit we don't yet have the full spec.
Please do let us know what you uncover. We will probably use the generic enclosure provided by St Andrews initially, but if/when the K6 arrives I would welcome any ideas on the best installation practice.

Many thanks for the replies so far. The phone box in question is already in situ. It's an 80s style metal structure that BT were looking to remove. Our village has adopted it. Just not sure what I will be left with when the phone is removed.

I did one of these a few years ago. The supply was IT as mentioned above.

The one we did just had a feed from local pole come down into a bill box, exactly the same as you get in lamposts, with a 10A HRC fuse I believe. Just came out of that to a plastic garage CU. 30mA RCD and one circuit for a light and one for the box the defib lives inside.

The board that the phone use to live on is 1" ply if i remember correctly so fixings for everything is nice and easy.

why not put in a bid for this? it already comes with defib.for 2 hearts, time warp drive, and full service history.
Conversion of phone box for defibrillator upload_2019-3-2_11-58-57 - EletriciansForums.net

Is there no way of installing a solar powered system with an inverter to charge a car battery or to utilise the 8W from the light? Just asking as am clueless to this type of scenario.

SWD clueless....... i almost spilt my beer.

bet everyone is busy googling IT. earthing;)
Not all of us,

I found this so it may give a few pointers, I assume you would need one with a lock or key code as I saw one in Burnham Beeches where you call the emergency number and they give you the unlock code if you need to use the defib, maybe try to get a local company to sponsor/pay for the unit if the village is short of cash.

AED Armor Outdoor Heated Cabinet No Lock for Telephone Box - https://www.defibshop.co.uk/defibshop-outdoor-heated-cabinet-no-lock-for-telephone-box

Purchasing the right cabinet is a whole other story. It's advisable to take advice from CHT (Community Heart Trust) as they can sort the continuation of the power at no additional cost. There is lots of conflicting arguments on line as to whether you should opt for a locked/unlocked cabinet. This will usually come down to the area and potential for vandalism/theft. A sharps kit should be left with the AED for removal of clothing and this adds further debate over locking. Usually the defibs are installed by local Parish councils or clubs with committes involved and the whole process becomes tetchy. You're only looking to provide a potential life saving device for the community and it turns into a blooming nightmare.

The one we put in didn't have a lock on the door and it blew my mind. £500+ piece of medical equipment sitting in a phone box in a small village with no lock :confused:.

Hasn't been nicked, yet.

Reply to Conversion of phone box for defibrillator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock