Discuss Convert Kitchen Flourescent Tubes With LED Strip Lighting .. Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have 3ft of wall cupboard then a space for the cooker hood then another 8ft of Wall cupboard. Both wall cupboards have fluorescent tubing beneath and are controlled by a single mains wall switch. I am looking to replace these with LED strip lights. Is there any advice on the equipment I would need (eg transformers) and also how to cater for the gap in the lighting?

Also, If I wanted to add a colour changing effect are there kits out there for this too?

Many thanks for any advice.

Tim

If you google LED flexible strip you will find a plethora of kits, parts and so on available.

Generally you need a secure method of fixing the strip to the surface as the self adhesive strip are not very long term adhesive, you can get LED strip aluminium profile to hold the strip but the cost does mount up.
Each strip will require an LED driver rated to the length of strip you are installing, most strips will give the watts per metre of the strip and so if you were installing 2m metres of strip you would need an led driver of at least twice the given value.
Often you can position the drivers above the cupboards or fix them to the underside of the cupboards (probably easiest in your case as you have 230V at the base of the cupboard, the connection of the driver to the strip can be by soldering or you can get connection clips that snap onto the strip and allow you to connect a socket on to them from the driver, but you do have to ensure you have compatible plugs and sockets with the size and type of strip.
Colour changing (RGB) strips are readily available and some come with remote controls as well.

For kitchens , avoid self adhesive strips ..... Get something that is held in place by screws

A driver for each side will cater for the gap as you won't need to bridge It, personally I find the led link lights that are the same shape as old fluorescents better than the actual strips as n my experience they are more reliable

You can use your existing floro battens to fix your LED's to.
The LED tape is affixed to the batten cover ( where the tube was ).
And the driver can go inside the batten after you take out the ballast.

Reply to Convert Kitchen Flourescent Tubes With LED Strip Lighting .. Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock