Discuss Convert LED ceiling light to plug in in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Julesy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I’m looking to convert an LED ceiling light to a mains plug in. Done this a few times with regular bulb holders, but not sure how to wire the three identical cables coming off the five bulb holders. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• Convert LED ceiling light to plug in image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 20
  • Convert LED ceiling light to plug in image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 21
Do any of the wires look any different to the others, like a colour trace. Is it a new fitting.

I would expect one of these wires to be earth, connected to the metal frame - you need to positively identify which one this is, otherwise powering up the light could be dangerous.

You could e.g. use a multi-meter to test between the metal and each of the wires in turn.

The other two wires I'd expect to be L and N, and probably for these lamp holders, it doesn't matter which way round they are.

Do any of the wires look any different to the others, like a colour trace. Is it a new fitting.
All identical to the eye...unfortunately...!!!
[automerge]1574022596[/automerge]
I would expect one of these wires to be earth, connected to the metal frame - you need to positively identify which one this is, otherwise powering up the light could be dangerous.

You could e.g. use a multi-meter to test between the metal and each of the wires in turn.

The other two wires I'd expect to be L and N, and probably for these lamp holders, it doesn't matter which way round they are.
Great. Thanks. Will try the multi meter...Cheers

Normally on led lights it has 2 small white or black wires. One is live the other neutral. As for putting a plug on the end I'm pritty sure that you would need to put in some transformer as for example I imagine rigging a 12v light to 240v plug I can't see the light working very long without the 12v transformer. Some lights have the transformers built in but you would have to check that. I ain't really an electrician tho I just have a dabble. Hope it helps

Reply to Convert LED ceiling light to plug in in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock