Discuss Convert single light 2 switch system to single switch 2 lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi,

Sorry for the confusing title! My brother in law is a joiner and is splitting my garage in 2 over the next few days, the front half will remain a garage and the back half that I can access from the house will be a snug/kids den/tv room.... at the moment I have a strip light in the garage with a 2 way switch, one switch in the house next to the door into the garage and another at the front of the garage just inside the garage door. I want to have the switch that’s in the house, wired to a ceiling rose in the new snug bit and the existing strip light switched from the remaining switch in the garage. Can this be done without retiring everything? It’s a new build house only about 5 or 6 years old so won’t have ancient wiring! I’m competent with electrics as (a long time ago now and several career changes!) I studied electrical and electronic engineering. I never did much in the way of wiring a house or not that I can remember, but I’m still confident around electricity and now how to stay safe...

hi,

Sorry for the confusing title! My brother in law is a joiner and is splitting my garage in 2 over the next few days, the front half will remain a garage and the back half that I can access from the house will be a snug/kids den/tv room.... at the moment I have a strip light in the garage with a 2 way switch, one switch in the house next to the door into the garage and another at the front of the garage just inside the garage door. I want to have the switch that’s in the house, wired to a ceiling rose in the new snug bit and the existing strip light switched from the remaining switch in the garage. Can this be done without retiring everything? It’s a new build house only about 5 or 6 years old so won’t have ancient wiring! I’m competent with electrics as (a long time ago now and several career changes!) I studied electrical and electronic engineering. I never did much in the way of wiring a house or not that I can remember, but I’m still confident around electricity and now how to stay safe...
How is the existing light fed?

There are a number of scenarios. How this is done will depend on the existing wiring to the existing light and the switches.

As its Christmas, post photos of the connection to the strip light and the wiring to the back of the two switches and may be able to give some guidance.

What access do you have to the space above the garage ceiling where the existing cabling is located?

Is there any rooms above the garage? You may have fire zones to consider.

And garages should be full of man things like tools and motorbikes...

Slight change of plan - now not going to have a ceiling light in the new bit (Mrs does not like them anyway, so will use floor lamps). So all I want to do it disable/remove the switch in the kitchen and just have the one switch in the existing bit of the garage wired up.

OK

Then need pictures of the wiring to the two switches. Please indicate which switch is the one you want to keep!

Reminds me of an old Steptoe and son episode where they split the house in two after a falling out half the cooker and TV were on one side and the other side on another.:)

Reply to Convert single light 2 switch system to single switch 2 lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net