Discuss Convert solar lights to 240v in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

afarr86

DIY
Reaction score
I purchased two sets of Christmas lights for garden path last year but they did not do very well - I think because of poor amount of daylight in the North. They have a small solar panel to power 4 spiral trees. See attached pictures. The advert says they are powered by

Solar panel: 2V 60MA.
Battery: 1.2V 300MAH NI-MH

What I want to know is if I can join these together to make one set of lights and can plug into 240v UK socket please? ThanksPath Tree Lights.jpgPath Tree Lights 2.jpg

I have no real experience of electrical work so I am assuming my question is not a possibility. So can I join these together and use a bigger solar panel? If so what would I need please?

You could do it with one of those small plug in transformers… but need one to go down to 1.2v dc.

It would have to be plugged in inside, so would need a long enough cable added to reach where it was going.
This in turn might introduce voltage drop, causing the 1.2 to reduce when it gets to the lights.

Save a bit of hassle and buy something else

As above.
Ideally you need someone a bit familiar with electrical/electronic wiring to help! ?
If you used something like "bell wire" to extend the leads indoors, you might get away with using one of these to power all the lights;
The dc power has to be connected "the right way round" for it to work! ?

Another option could be to see if you can open up the solar panels without ruining their weather proofness, and establish if the Ni-Cd battery inside is a typical AA or AAA type, in which case you might be able to swap it for one of these:
(you can find these with a dual output, to operate two sets of lights simultaneously)
Then use a USB extension lead to plug into a standard USB charger.

As has been said, probably quicker and cheaper to replace the lights completely.

Last edited:
You could do it with one of those small plug in transformers… but need one to go down to 1.2v dc.

It would have to be plugged in inside, so would need a long enough cable added to reach where it was going.
This in turn might introduce voltage drop, causing the 1.2 to reduce when it gets to the lights.

Save a bit of hassle and buy something else
Yes, probably best and just chuck these away

Reply to Convert solar lights to 240v in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net