Discuss Converting pendant to downlights... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanSwift1988

Just wondering how everyone would go about doing this...

I will be converting a kitchen shortly from a single pendant (loop in, loop out, switch) to downlights.

I know there's a few different ways of doing it, junction box, connector blocks, wago box etc but I was wondering how everybody else would go about doing it? I'm after the tidiest, safest way of doing it.

I was thinking of using a small adaptable box as a wiring centre with connector blocks screwed neatly inside, and then my switched live coming out to the first downlight and then daisy chaining. Or would this be overkill?

PS - my first post but what a forum, an absoulte goldmine of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum mate.

I myself would attempt to position the original loop in position to one of the downlights, and then use a wago box or similar so that the whole thing could be pulled down through the downlight hole for future maintenance.
Then a nicely clipped daisy chain from light to light. Make sure you consider any insulation that may or may not be installed with regard to your cable run.

I like to use the click flow connectors (google 'click flow' to find them) - they make it easy to disconnect the downlights for testing, and they have an extra terminal provided for the loop-in switch connection.

yeah. a lot of downlights--it's a struggle to get 2 cables in the fitting.

Just wondering how everyone would go about doing this...

I will be converting a kitchen shortly from a single pendant (loop in, loop out, switch) to downlights.

I know there's a few different ways of doing it, junction box, connector blocks, wago box etc but I was wondering how everybody else would go about doing it? I'm after the tidiest, safest way of doing it.

I was thinking of using a small adaptable box as a wiring centre with connector blocks screwed neatly inside, and then my switched live coming out to the first downlight and then daisy chaining. Or would this be overkill?

PS - my first post but what a forum, an absoulte goldmine of information.

I'd forget the adaptable box - unless you plan to incorporate a service hatch, for access to it. Just daisy chain 'em all up mate.

I guess access is important, I might just JB it, but I fancied something a bit tidier, and I'll be using a JB on each leg of the daisy chain as the downlighters only accomodate 1 cable. I was thinking too many JB's would look a bit cowboyish!

I like the sound of them click flow jobbies!

yeah, click flow, or lever wagos in a "line" enclosure. heat resistant flex to each fitting. if i ain't got any then i use the 2" round ashley 4way JB's. and before anyone mentions access. they are accessible through the hole where the fittings go.

i always use the ashley j501 they will fit through most holes loop in and out of the then flex down to the light , if you use connector block they must be enclosed so will require a box , also on down lighters they must have clamps for the cables , as they are at risk of getting pulled if the fitting is removed ,hence the reason the 17th edition down lighter junction boxes have come out its in the regs cant remember what reg it is but its there have a head ach from hell other wise id get it for you

How many down lighters are going in? I replaced a pendant yesterday for 4 downlights, Wago blocks to replace the rose then spider legs to each light.

yeah, click flow, or lever wagos in a "line" enclosure. heat resistant flex to each fitting. if i ain't got any then i use the 2" round ashley 4way JB's. and before anyone mentions access. they are accessible through the hole where the fittings go.

Have you got your BGB yet? 526.3 now includes maintenance free connections in the list of exceptions.

(v) Joints or connections made in equipment by the manufacturer of the product and not intended to be inspected or maintained.

(vi) Equipment complying with BS 5733 for a maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol MF and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

:party:

Clic Flow are the best solution, in the event of a faulty light later you can simply unplug the offending light and take it down. How are you planning with dealing with beams?

Don't forget its notifiable and will need RCD protection!

Fortunately the whole kitchen is getting re-done so the ceiling will be dropped and I've got easy access :)

Have you got your BGB yet? 526.3 now includes maintenance free connections in the list of exceptions.

:party:

Hi JUD - good post - so does that mean you can use fittings you may otherwise not have been able to, as long as you mark them MF?

Not quite sure of the implication of your quote

Hi JUD - good post - so does that mean you can use fittings you may otherwise not have been able to, as long as you mark them MF?

Not quite sure of the implication of your quote

Just remembering a few "debates" on here about weather WAGO connectors can or cannot be left inaccessible because it never said exactly that in the wording of the BRB, even though they are manufactured as a maintenance free connection.

The BGB seems to have cleared that up with the addition of the above.

How many down lighters are going in? I replaced a pendant yesterday for 4 downlights, Wago blocks to replace the rose then spider legs to each light.
Hi there, Could i trouble you for which WAGO box you use please as what you have done is the exact job il be doing.
Replacing the original pendant for 4 down lights.

Hi there, Could i trouble you for which WAGO box you use please as what you have done is the exact job il be doing.
Replacing the original pendant for 4 down lights.
wago lighting box. screwfix.
https://www.screwflix..com/p/wagobox-junction-box/8423f?_requestid=20821#_=p

same as they were 10 years ago when this thread was active.

Only 2 of the original sparks who commented on this original thread 10 years ago still around? High turnover!!

I can see Tel, but who's the other one?

Is it a name change I wonder??

Reply to Converting pendant to downlights... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock