Discuss Convoluted Spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

The garage (two internal lights, one external light and a socket) seem to run off of a internal socket with a wire running through the wall from the garage and plugging into said socket.

It was unplugged when we moved in, but suspect this was linked to leaking flashing potentially tripping it out. This is now fixed and dehumidifier has been happily running in the garage on the existing electrics.

I would like to tap into it for an additional pir led light (30w) to the front.

the existing system starts with wire coming through the wall to a junction box which has three wires out of it:
1. To a second junction box
2. One of the internal lights
3. The Single Socket

the second junction box runs to
1. Switches - one for internal lights and one for external
2. Internal light
3. External light

Is it reasonable just to tap into the first junction box for the new light? Or is this too much? I was considering adding a 13a switched fused spur for the new line, then thought should I add this to the whole ‘spur’ before the first junction?

The garage is likely to be redeveloped in the next year and so don’t want to replace the lot (unless it is considered especially unsafe).

I hope the above makes sense

thanks in advance for the help

Jim

Welcome to the forum mate.
Where goes the cable going to the garage connect to?
Does that circuit have RCD protection?
What size is the cable going to the garage and the cables inside the garage?

Thanks

Wire going to the garage comes from in the house from a socket (it has a plug in the end so plugs in). The house circuit has a RCD protection.

Looks to be 2.5mm to first junction box, then 2.5mm to socket and 1.5 to lights.

Thanks

Is therea 13 amp fuse down from the house.

As above, I presume there is a 13A fuse in the plug for the cable going to the garage?

As the ‘spur’ is ‘protected’ by the 13A plus I take it there’s no need for a switched fused spur?

does it sound reasonable tapping into the first junction - that would mean 4 cables coming out and one in - is this too many?

thanks, Jim

As the ‘spur’ is ‘protected’ by the 13A plus I take it there’s no need for a switched fused spur?

does it sound reasonable tapping into the first junction - that would mean 4 cables coming out and one in - is this too many?

thanks, Jim

If the junction box can properly fit another cable, then there is no problems with 4 cables coming out.

Reply to Convoluted Spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock