Discuss Cooker circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stu-rob

Hi all, after a bit of advice. I'm helping a mate at the weekend to fit a new kitchen and as such he's replacing his old freestanding cooker with a seperate oven and hob. The hob (6Kw) is staying in the same location as before so can utilise the existing 45A dp switch with 6mm cabling. However the oven (3.2Kw) is now going on the opposite side of the kitchen and as such is more than 2 metres from the switch so requires a seperate one fitting.

Now I'm qualified to do the job but I don't do it for a living so was wondering what best practise would be for this. Should I extend the current cooker radial circuit from the current 45A switch to a new 45A DP switch and site next to the new oven or can I utilise the kitchens ring main, given the rating of the new oven and allowing for diversity, and fit a switchable fused spur from a socket (that is close to the new oven) to feed a new socket behind the new oven (I believe the new oven is fitted with a 13A plug).

Your help would be much appreciated

Regards
Stu

not sure why you would want to extend a 45A radial to supply an oven that only takes 13A

For me it would depend on the property, existing installation and proximity of the CU, if at all possible put it on it's won radial, otherwise on the ring main.

rememeber this work will be notifiable

drop a spur from ring for the ovens 13a plug,
notifiable work putting in new circuit so assume you are registered

Agree with ezzekiel.
Make sure swithched spur is to the side of the cooker and not behind. Bit obviuos I know but worth mention.:p

It is now recommended that any cooking appliance over 2kW has its own dedicated circuit, to prevent the RFC from being loaded for long periods.

However, if it is a kitchen refit, then no reason why it cant be spurred, but then i would only do this if the kitchen has its own RFC.

I am with you Jason own supply if poss first if not then spur if kitchen has own ring:)

not sure why you would want to extend a 45A radial to supply an oven that only takes 13A, if at all possible put it on it's own radial, otherwise on the ring main.

Main reason to extend the radial was simply to keep both appliances on the same circuit and once the kitchen's out it wont be too much trouble running cable under the floor!! Also was thinking if they ever decided to upgrade there oven then there would be suitable wiring already in place!!

If I remember correctly (a while since I looked at the job) there is no space in the CU for a new radial so I think thats out.

The kichen ring is on its own circuit seperate to the rest of the house so think I may opt for the spur option.

if the oven is 3.2 kw i doubt it will have a plug as the current will be 13.9 amps ,as jason has said any thing over 2 kw should have its own circuit,run a new 2.5 supply from the cdu best option , also you will not be able to add a fused spur as the spur will over heat ,if you connect it to the ring then you could be overloading the ring ,you have said that theCDU has not got enough ways so add a small CDU next to it , and dont forget this work is notifiable to

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, yes, i failed to mention that loading would dictate the best connection method :)

Have now managed to have a proper look at the job and heres what I think is the best option, the CU is located in a little space under the stairs accessed by an outside door, as such all the cabling to it is easily accessible.

I plan to remove the original cooker circuit 6mm cable from the original CU and connect to a small CU which I plan to fit next to the original. I plan on connecting the new CU to the original CU via a short length of 10mm cable to a new 45A Mcb into the way that has been left by removing original cooker Mcb.

Then I can reconnect the original cooker 6mm cable to a 32A Mcb in the new CU to connect the new hob. I then plan to run a new 2.5mm cable from the new CU with a 20A Mcb to a 20A DP switch sited next to the new oven and connect that to a cooker outlet behind the new oven (turns out the new oven doesn't have a 13A plug fitted).

Hope you all think this sounds right!

from what you are describing i'm assuming you are part P registered? as such I'd recommend that you change the consumer unit so that you only have the one unit and everything has the correct type of protection. That way you'll be able to put in what ever new circuits you need.

Reply to Cooker circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock