• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Cooker circuits fusing down ??? in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilson12

Trainee
Trainee Access
Hello
I’ve pulled out a electric oven and the connection plate at the back for the cooker circuit has 2.5mm hardwired to the 6mm circuit for a 1.76kw load and also a 6mm connecting a induction hob,unknown load.
Does the 2.5mm need to be fused down or is it okay being spurred off the cooker circuit?

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - sorry to start with this - what do the manufacturer’s installation instructions have to say?
I assume it’s got a 32A mcb on the circuit?

davesparks

Forum Mentor
The 2.5 doesn't necessarily need fusing down as the oven is likely to be a fixed load which is not subject to overload. In this case cables can usually be sized according to design current rather than nominal current.

Barnaby Stedman

Regular EF Member
It is safer to fuse down 2.5mm if it was on a 6mm cable - in case some dumbo comes along and adds a socket to a 'ring final circuit' and then something overloads etc.
but that's only a precaution

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
It is safer to fuse down 2.5mm if it was on a 6mm cable - in case some dumbo comes along and adds a socket to a 'ring final circuit' and then something overloads etc.
but that's only a precaution
If every circuit was designed for "what ifs", the costs involved would be horrendous.

Reactions: Zdb

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - if manufacturer is silent and the 2.5 mm flex is suitable I’d press on. The circuit 6mm twin and earth has 2.5mm cpc which is deemed fit for purpose. The 2.5mm flex has the same size conductor for cpc so I don’t see an increased risk during fault clearance :) .

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.