Discuss cooker disconnection reconnection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

esc

Hi guys. In a week or so I have a oven thats in need of a new cupboard/unit that houses it. The plan is to isolate securely, disconnect, inspect/test the supply, and assuming all goes well to this point, fit the new cupboard/unit and then refit and reconnect the oven, MWC. Everything is going back where it came from, theres no need to alter change or add anything to the existing circuit.
Being in a kitchen, is this particular type of work notifiable, or does it come under the conditions of say a like for like?, as for example when replacing a shower with a new one of the same rating? Which is essentially a disconnection and a reconnection.
Generally, does disconnection and reconnection of fixed euipment fall into non notifiable MW.

Also, and these matters are still not entirly clear in my mind; the whole installation is on BS 3036 fuses with no RCD protection at all. How does this affect the work mentioned above? Would i now need to tell the customer we need to provide RCD protection to the oven now that we have worked on its circuit?

Any help on this much appreciated

Replacing a cooker in a kitchen is not notifiable work so temporarily disconnecting a cooker is also not notifiable (so long as you do not change the cable size).
According to the regulations any electrical work done should be to BS7671. Assuming sub surface cables so it would require an RCD. A note that has been circulating here says that RCD protection must be put in no matter what and that document says it must have RCD protection. I would leave it as is.

Reply to cooker disconnection reconnection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net