Discuss Cooker Hob Isolation switch location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimbobaroobob

Hello there
I need to move an existing combined cooker switch/ 13 A socket in a new kitchen, as the hob will be directly below the existing location.
There is not enough 6mm cable to allow me to move it around 50cm to the left of existing position.
To avoid replacing the whole 6mm cable, one thought was to chase the 6mm cable up the wall, re-route it to the left and place a 45A DP isolation switch for the cooker inside a wall cabinet above the left hand work top. A shorter run of 6mm cable can then run from the switch out the back of the cupboard, channelled inside the wall to the cooker connection unit below the hob.
I know the rule about not attaching to kitchen 'furniture', but as the cabinets will be fixed mounted units I am not sure if this strictly applies.

I note a reply to an old previous question:

'Not forgetting that the switch/Isolator should be a minimum of 300mm/30cm/12" what ever you understand? from the edge of the cooker and NOT above the cooker! And the cooker outlet or socket? (depending on loading of cooker) should NOT be installed in the Kitchen "cupboard" Or in the adjacent cupboard!! but on or in the wall, which may mean drilling a 75mm whole in back of cupboard to pass 13amp plug top through socket, etc etc'

Many thanks

You have not actually asked a question there.
So long as your run is in the safe zones and there is no junction directly above the cooker then you should be OK.

Sorry, the question should have been 'Is it considered acceptable for the isolation switch to be located inside a kitchen wall cabinet?'.

it is acceptable if it's accessible. maybe not ideal, but sometimes compromises need to be made.

it is acceptable if it's accessible. maybe not ideal, but sometimes compromises need to be made.

Many thanks for your advice.
Assuming I went with this plan to have the isolation switch inside the cabinet (switch only, no socket), would it be considered acceptable to spur off the switch terminals to install a single 13A socket below the cabinet, in a safe area >30cm away from the hob?
ie original 6mm cable into the isolation switch, two cables out- one 6mm to the cooker connection box, another 2.5mm cable to a 13a single socket.

Many thanks for your advice.
Assuming I went with this plan to have the isolation switch inside the cabinet (switch only, no socket), would it be considered acceptable to spur off the switch terminals to install a single 13A socket below the cabinet, in a safe area >30cm away from the hob?
ie original 6mm cable into the isolation switch, two cables out- one 6mm to the cooker connection box, another 2.5mm cable to a 13a single socket.

Tell us ....WHY do you want the cooker control panel inside a kitchen cabinet, and 6mm T&E running around inside this wall cabinet?? Why not chase up behind this wall cabinet, fit a deep box as a junction box, and cable down with a new length of cable to a suitable new position for the cooker control panel??

Tell us ....WHY do you want the cooker control panel inside a kitchen cabinet, and 6mm T&E running around inside this wall cabinet?? Why not chase up behind this wall cabinet, fit a deep box as a junction box, and cable down with a new length of cable to a suitable new position for the cooker control panel??
eng..
you will have a service void on most units...the cable will pull behind the back panel....
and as a DP switch is for isolation purposes....and normal control goes on at the cooker itself....then i cant see it as being an issue....as long as it remains accessible of course...otherwise your defeating the object....

Reply to Cooker Hob Isolation switch location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock