Discuss Cooker hood extraction ducting size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

xtract

DIY
Reaction score
I recently had a large renovation project carried out and electrical work by the builders own electrical contractor. I have a problem with my chimney extractor over gas hob...it's not extracting sufficiently and smoke is filling the room. There are no blockages and we now think it is because the 4 inch ducting is under specced. The cooker hood manual specs 5 inch ducting. The architect specified 30l/s fan but not the type of extractor/ducting. I supplied the electrician with kitchen plan and we had a discussion about the extractor. I offered to supply ducting kit but he said it was not required. The builder said they always install 4 inch ducting as standard and that it was my responsibility to let them know if I required larger ducting. This was a 3 metre run with at least x2 90 degree bends vanting out of a flat roof?.

What do electricians normally do if kitchen is not on site? Do you calculate based on the distance? Do you check the type of extractor to be installed and go by manufacturers specs? Do you install 4 inch as standard?

Depends on the length of the run. Most extractors are to a continental design, where 125mm (5") ducting appears to be the norm. Building regs in the UK require 6" for an extractor fan in a kitchen, mounted away from the hob, but only require 4" minimum for extractor hoods. Most hoods come with a 5" to 4" reducer in the box, so that 4" ducting can be used.
4" is usually adequate for through the wall or just along to the end wall installations, but longer runs require larger ducts. My own range cooker has a largish (twin fan) extractor over it, which feeds into a 5" duct, which then becomes 6" because of the unusually long run.

1 solution would be to add a 4" fan in the ducting close to the exit from the wall/roof . paralled off the cooker extractor. but where's all the smoke coming from? even 'er indoors only burns the bacon now amd then.

Reply to Cooker hood extraction ducting size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net