Discuss Cooker Hood help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Samuel10

DIY
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Hoping somebody can help me out with this.

I ordered a Best Visso cooker hood, imported form Italy, long story but it was basically to replace the same model which I can't get hold of now in the UK.

It came supplied with a moulded two pin European plug top. After a bit of research before ordering, I assumed I could remove the two pin plug and wire a 13a UK plug top with a 3amp fuse to it. The flex on the hood is three core, neutral, live, earth. I can see no markings inside the unit to suggest the hood is double insulated therefore I have wired in the watch as suggested by the very basic manual. I notice also the body of the extractor is bonded to earth inside the stainless steel body.

Having changed the plug, the hood seems to have no power, nothing functions. It is plugged into the same standard single socket above the kitchen cupboards as the old one was, have checked this socket and it is working.

Unfortunately I didn't test the hood was working fine with the supplied two pin plug before removing it. So can't be sure it is something I am overlooking/doing wrong or whether I have been sent a faulty unit.

Can anybody give an opinion on this? Can provide more info and pics if required.

Many thanks in advance

I assume the fuse in the plug is okay.

Can you try a known good fuse from a table lamp or something?

It came supplied with a 3 core flex but a 2 pin plug?
Where was the earth wire?

Maybe a photo of the open plug showing the terminations and at the hood.

Thanks for your replies. The plug is sealed so I can't get inside to see the workings. I've added a pic of it.

I'm not at home right now to take any pics of the hood terminations. I've noticed it is different to the old unit (which I don't have to compare to now ?) It basically is a big sealed metal box mounted inside the unit, the connections for the lights, fan and sensor plug into connections on it and the flex exits the top of the unit - whereas the old extractor had a terminal on the top of the unit for the live, neutral and earth. (I realise this may sound like double Dutch without pictures)

I've also added a pic of the spec.

_20191224_153739.JPG_20191224_155211.JPG

That is a two pin plug with the earth the silver key way on the side so to swap it for a 13A plug is fine.

Reactions: DPG
Thanks. Which is what I have done. So it's looking quite likely that there is a fault with it. I'll try again with a known working fuse just to double check fuses. And will get a sparky to take a look at it in the new year to see if it's something else I'm overlooking.

Thanks for the help guys, Happy Christmas.

Reactions: DPG
Have you checked the instructions.

Have you checked the instructions.

They're mostly very vague. This pic shows what I was referring to earlier, the new one is setup like the image on the left. The old one was the same but with the terminals on the top of the casing like the image on the right._20191224_202317.JPG

Reply to Cooker Hood help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net