Discuss Cooker hood wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can I ask your advice?

I've removed my old cooker hood and replaces with a different model.

The wiring is different (as expected) from the previous one and just wanted to know the process before I consider calling an electrician.

In not attempting anything even slightly complicated.

There is a twin and earth cable coming from a fused spur. As seen in the photo.

The new cooker hood has live, neutral and earth.

How would this be wired up?

Attachments

• 20200530_184409.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200530_180018.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200530_181459.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 57
join the flex to the twin/E colour for colour. use the 4 pole JB. make sure circuit is isolated beforehand.

Don't use the circular junction box it does not afford suitable cord restraint. Fit a switched-fuse connection unit which incorporates suitable cord restraint.

I wouldn’t be joining untreated flexible conductors to solid conductors in a common terminal , use a Fused spur.
Why not ?
i must have fitted 1000s of downlights that used to come with a JB in the box for the transformer flex to join up to the twin & earth lighting cable...
long before the days of wago boxes

Why not ?
i must have fitted 1000s of downlights that used to come with a JB in the box for the transformer flex to join up to the twin & earth lighting cable...
Junction boxes are not deemed suitable luminaire couplers for obvious reasons. If you have fitted thousands then you have been installing non-compliant connections for a long time.

Why not ?
Why do you think, a solid conductor in the same terminal as a fine stranded one?
They will never sit correctly due to spreading.

not if it's done properly. esp if ferrules are fitted, which is usuall trhe case with factory fitted flexes.

The inner cores are always too long for these type of junction boxes with the ferrules on so they are cut off,let’s be honest they are not adequate

The chap who fitted the kitchen in my flat, let's call him Kev, just put a socket on the wall behind the "chimney" and a 13A plug on the hood flex, and, given he is expert, and knowing this was a recirculating hood, he covered the plug and socket in duct tape to keep the steam and grease out...

The JB would come supplied with the lights , yes there was no cord grip but it’s what the manufacturer supplied so we used them..
i now generally use these jobbies

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/greenbrook-20a-3-pole-lighting-connector-250v-pack-of-2/2834r

or sometimes a wago box

The JB would come supplied with the lights , yes there was no cord grip but it’s what the manufacturer supplied so we used them..
i now generally use these jobbies

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/greenbrook-20a-3-pole-lighting-connector-250v-pack-of-2/2834r

or sometimes a wago box
I find it difficult to believe a lighting supplier would provide a circular junction box to connect a light fitting. Maybe some half wit in the wholesaler would have chucked some in if asked to provide a means of connection but any competent person would realise they are not suitable and reject them.
[automerge]1590875980[/automerge]
Cheers for the reply mate.

The cable is wired up to a fused spar. Is that jit what you mean?

Thanks in advance.
Provided it incorporates cord restraint that is fine.

Last edited:
what I tend to do in this case is tape or zip tire the cable ends together and put then in the same knock out in the JB,
then clip add a clip or two just to secure the cable in situ.
once the hood is up on the wall there Is no way anyone will be pulling On the cables...

what I tend to do in this case is tape or zip tire the cable ends together and put then in the same knock out in the JB,
then clip add a clip or two just to secure the cable in situ.
once the hood is up on the wall there Is no way anyone will be pulling On the cables...
You do that as opposed to doing it in a competent, professional manner.

Reply to Cooker hood wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net