Discuss Cooker installation qualifications? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking into starting an appliance supply business. I want to provide an installation service. Please advise what qualifications and testing would be required in order to do simple like for like oven replacements into existing circuits? I would only be replacing like for like, matching the current amperage of the cooker I’m replacing. Would I also need to supply customers with certificates for the new oven? Thanks.

Please note I have worked in the appliance repair industry for multiple years have have numerous qualifications for the repair of these appliances however nothing specifically for the installation of them.

I will always do an earth (cpc) continuity test, a Zs and RCD trip times test and confirm cable and Mcb size on the existing circuit before fitting a new oven or hob and issue a minor works cert might be a bit ott but my arse is covered and so is their house insurance

I had an electric range cooker installed or connected up by the manufacturers. I had, long times previously installed a 40A supply, which drew a sign of relief to the 17th Edition engineer, as he wouldn’t of been able to connect up my new appliance to a 30A supply, even though with diversity, it was rated at 16A. The manufacturers said 40A supply on their website, even though I couldn’t get more than 14A when clamped, at full throttle.

So to OP just be careful, what you aim to achieve, a little knowledge can be less than helpful

You would need to make sure the existing circuit was up to it. Just swapping like for like might not be right if too big an appliance was already fitted - wrongly.

As above, should check earth and rcd operations. However, if they are not right, you wouldn’t be able to fix. Customer would need a qualified electrician.

Reply to Cooker installation qualifications? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock