Discuss Cooker installation woes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peterkins

Probably in the wrong forum but I cant seem to post elsewhere.

I'm installing a new high-end Siemens cookers in my kitchen - a regular oven and a combination one. I've got separate spurs for each back to the fuse box via isolation switches.

The oven comes with a mains cable that plugs into the back of the oven. I can wire this to a 45A un-switched cooker point. When I put the oven in the cabinet, I can plug in the oven. Simplez.

The combination oven is not so simple. The mains cable is wired into the back of the oven. Its not so long. Problem is that the instruction says it must wired in to a plug rated 15A or more. Try as I may I cant find anything suitable in either toolstation or screwfix.

What do the pro's use and where can I get one?

Regards

Also, you'll probably find that's this thread gets moved to DIY section so I wont be able to continue the conversation as i'm not permitted to post in that area (can't be trusted, lol) but someone will help you out

Yes it should be moved there, I can still point you in the right direction hopefully. Obviously theres a bit more to it than jus connecting it, but let's start with the make Nd model so we can look at what we are dealing with.

Peter, the majority of ovens don't come with a cable these days as they are meant to be professionally installed, I would imagine its nothing untoward and just needs a bit of cable that's not particularly readily available in DIY style shops and needs connecting into a proper outlet that's all.

If the instructions say put it on a 15A plug then buy a 15A plug and a 15A socket, simples no?

For the benefit of the person asking the question, please can you provide an example of where to get one from being a DIYer, it's not going to be asking you to buy something that's hard to get just to connect your cooker.

Seeing as the OP has posted a question then as usual just disappears, i wouldn't bother giving any further help to him until he comes back with some answers!!.

For the benefit of the person asking the question, please can you provide an example of where to get one from being a DIYer, it's not going to be asking you to buy something that's hard to get just to connect your cooker.

Electrical wholesalers, they do tend to be a good place to go for electrical installation materials, or failing that a quick search of the internet throws up plenty of sources.
Or they could go and get a 16A socket, it does say that 15A is the minimum requirement after all and not the maximum.

Hi. Thanks for all the offers of help, much appreciated. Didnt get back earlier because I was fitting the cooker outlet for the oven. Done now.

Ok, back to the combination oven. Its a Siemens hb86p572b.

First the instructions says "the appliance is ready to be plugged-in". It lies, there is no plug, just bare wires.

Later the instructions says, for GB and Australia, "the appliance is designed for a permanent connection to a 3-wire cable". Indeed, there is one permanently installed into the back of the oven. Trouble is, its quite short, so to wire it into a cooker outlet, this weighty oven must be suspended in mid air while the connection is made. Not good from a heath and safety point of view. IMHO.

I lied about the plug rating thingy in the instructions. It doesnt mention a plug there. However, having unboxed the thing to check out size, etc, there is the usual obligatory note attached to the mains cable. The penultimate lines says

A plug must have a nominal current of at least 15A or more.

I'm confused. I'm also surprised Siemens can find the profit to put a plug on the back of a regular built-in oven but can't be bothered to put one on their combination oven, esp since UK and Australia standards obviously preclude a 13A plug. Shame on them!

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cooker installation woes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net