Discuss Cooker isolation switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jeff105

Hi everyone,

I will be wanting a qualified electrician to install a spur feed from the consumer unit (Volex equipped with RCBOs installed when the mains supply to the house was moved 3 years ago) to an isolation switch located on a plastered wall to supply a new electric single oven and induction hob. From reading this forum and others I understand that a 50 amp DP switch connected to a 32A RCBO using 6mm2 cable will be required. The oven is rated at 3680W and the hob at 7200W.

I am competent to do prep work such as sinking boxes into brickwork and channelling for cable runs, so hopefully can do quite a bit before the new kitchen units and appliances are delivered.

Previously I have wired in fixed appliances by taking a spur from the ring main via a fused and double pole switched connection unit, then to an outlet plate where the appliance flexible lead is connected. As this usually means that access holes must be cut into the rear panels of kitchen base or wall units I would prefer to avoid that this time. The plastered wall is the rear of what used to be the garage wall, now a utility/workshop or den if you want to be posh. This is built in 9" brickwork and is not plastered on the inner face. My preference is therefore to bring the new cable through the wall into a flush mounted isolation switch, then take two cables back through the wall to separate outlet plates, one each for the oven and hob. Then the flexible leads from the appliances could also be taken through the wall and connected up. This would avoid lots of channelling on the plastered face of the wall, and allow all the boxes to be surface mounted. Presumably it would also help the cables to operate at a lower temperature at periods of high usage through being run along brick surfaces rather than under plaster.

Would welcome comments as to whether the above is legal/sensible or not.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds possible, providing that you can guarantee that the outlet plates in the other room will remain accessible.

I don't know the layout of your kitchen, but I'd be inclined to locate the outlet plates near to the appliances themselves. Personally, I don't have a problem with electrical accessories fixed to the inside faces of kitchen units, usually high up and near the front, where they are visible and accessible. (The rear panels tend to be thin and wobbly.)

Sounds possible, providing that you can guarantee that the outlet plates in the other room will remain accessible.

I don't know the layout of your kitchen, but I'd be inclined to locate the outlet plates near to the appliances themselves. Personally, I don't have a problem with electrical accessories fixed to the inside faces of kitchen units, usually high up and near the front, where they are visible and accessible. (The rear panels tend to be thin and wobbly.)

on face value, it sounds OK, but without being there it'd hard to be sure. get your electrician to survey the job, take his advice, do the grunt work yourself and lett him do the more technical work.

Thanks both for taking the trouble to respond

Yes this room is being used as my workshop, or retreat from the wife (only joking) so the wall in question will remain clear of shelves or furniture etc. It already has cable runs across it from when the house was completely rewired in 1970 and two mains rings and two lighting circuits installed.

I intend to locate the outlet plates pretty much immediately on the other side of the wall from where each appliance is situated. Putting them onto the side walls of other units is difficult because the style of the units is wide and deep drawers rather than cupboards, so a projecting surface mounted outlet would interfere with the action of the drawers.

on face value, it sounds OK, but without being there it'd hard to be sure. get your electrician to survey the job, take his advice, do the grunt work yourself and lett him do the more technical work.

Pretty much what I was hoping would happen. The last electrician who installed the new consumer unit 3 years ago proved very difficult to communicate with as he was always off doing large industrial contracts, with domestic work as an occasional fill-in. So I'm hoping to get put in touch with someone who answers the phone when you call. In fact I wondered if this site could be used to get in contact with an experienced and reliable local tradesman? I'm in south Birmingham.

not too far from spartykus. surprised he's not responded as yet. then again, it's not full moon yet.

Reply to Cooker isolation switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock